• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp/rough fish newbie question

Guys: with the lakes still locked up, and pool 2 flooded, I am limited to shore fishing pool 2 or pool 1 (I live close by). What's a good set up to catch a carp/cat/or other rough fish? Any tips for a newbie would be great. I like to keep things simple, if that helps.

Thanks in advance!

Im not familer with this area but something that has worked for me in the past that is really simple.

Use a regular gumball jig 1/4 ounce or a little bigger depending on the current put a big chunk of night crawler on and cast down stream let the current take the line out a little bit and let it get tight. just sit back and watch the rod tip flicker for a bite.

hope this helps and good luck

I use any of my rods and reels.. baitcasting or spinning, anything from medium to heavy. I use line from 10lb mono to 80lb braid, depending on what rod/reel I have in my car at the time.

Frankly most of my rough fishing is simply putting on some split shot above a small bare hook, and using a nightcrawler or some kernels of sweet corn for bait. If I have a baitcaster, I will often make use of the bait clicker feature while free-spooling.

Cast out to where you hope the fish are, wait for a bite. If you get bored, move.

You can also try corn on a floating rig.(Carp) Most stink baits, cut bait and balls of ceawlers may get you some cats. Where do you plan on fishing? E-mail me. I may have a couple more from my guiding that strech of river.