• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Installing a radio on my boat

Covey

I just bought a new marine stereo for my boat and was wondering how I should wire the radio to the battery. Can I just wire it directly to the cranking battery or do I need to wire it to a toggle switch? I'm pretty sure my boat has no open switches on it. Will it draw my battery down if I don't have it on a toggle switch, even if it's turned off?

I put one in my boat directly off the cranking battery. When the radio is off, the alumination light stays on, but has never ran down my battery. Even sitting for 2 weeks. Have it on all the time while trolling with my bow up front and have never had it run down the cranking battery either.

I've heard it both ways. The memory and illumination will draw a small amount of current which may affect your battery capacity if it sits for 2-3 weeks unused. Some people have had issues in the past. I installed mine off an unused fuse that is connected to my master power switch. Yeah I lose memory, but I don't have to worry about battery drain either.

You could always add another switch and install it in a location that's not highly visible if you don't want to look at it (side or underneath console).

I read all of the stuff about battery drain and decided that, even though it pains me to admit it, my boat can sit idle up to a month in the summer! Therefore, I wired power from the starting battery but ran it to a toggle switch. That way I can turn off the main radio power when I get home. It takes all of 10 seconds to reprogram the one or two radio stations when I get back in the boat.