• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone gardening in your mind yet?

Steve Foss

Just put in a bunch of seeds in the starter trays and the grow light over them. Got Red Cherry Large, San Marzano and Brandywine Pink.

We'll have a plant of each in the Global Bucket System and also one of each in the usual raised garden beds to compare the two methods. With our front porch full of windows facing east, south and west, the buckets allow us to extend our growing season by more than a month.

We're going to grow pole beans instead of bush to save space, but will grow LOTS of them as they blanch/freeze well. Same thing with the number of carrots, and for the same reason. Probably go with the seed tapes again this year for the carrots. A bit spendy, but golly they make it easy! Put two rows of garlic in last fall, and the snow is almost all melted off the raised beds right now.

Definitely going to be planting a bunch more giant Kossack variety kohlrabi, some broccoli, peas, squash and cukes. Probably one acorn squash and one cuke plant for slicers. I think we're probably not going to plant corn this time out, but may change our minds. And, as always, lots of radishes and a couple rows of lettuce.

Since we live on ledgerock, our five raised beds (four are 4x8 and one is 6x12) are all we have available for veggies. We're also toying with the idea of planting pole beans in old galvanized washtubs or 5-gallon buckets. We notice the root systems on the garden beans aren't that extensive, and this would be another space saver. Has anyone here grown pole beans that way?

Im quite a few miles south of you of course but seeds have been in since the 3rd of march , my seedlings are now all about 2-2.5 inches I have romas , early girl , brandywine and cherrys ,also, habenaro, jalepeno ghost peppers as well [PoorWordUsage] cilantro green beans cucumbers and onions , patatoes will go in as soon as this patch of snow where my garden is going to be decides to melt ! can't wait

Well, I looked at the main garden yesterday when charging the electric fence and aside from the snow still covering parts of it, at least it was muddy. grin We lean heavily on squash, muskmelons, cukes, pumpkins and gourds so it'll be a few weeks before we plant them in the greenhouse so they'll be ready for transplanting sometime after May 20th. Typically we have 80 - 100 hills of vine crops. Potatoes just came in so they'll easily be planted by Good Friday. Usually plant Pontiacs and last year some Yukon Gold. May try to find some Norkotah as well. Wasn't totally enamored with the Yukon Gold but the season wasn't the best especially after 8+" of rain in September. The radishes, snap peas, onions, lettuce and carrots should make it by then too. Had good luck last year with the little seeder thingy on the lettuce & carrots so will be using that again. Still need to pick up a few spring radishes, string beans & beets and decide how much sweet corn we want. Last year we were gone for about 2 weeks in August when it was prime for eating and a lot of it wound up feeding the Huns and pheasants once it matured. Oh well, they need to stay regular too. wink The tomatoes and peppers are usually the crippled packs where 3 out of the 4 grew and they haven't sold so Mrs. Cheviot brings 'em home. Since she thinks she's done her part I get to plant them and care for them. Usually Roma's, Celebrity's, Sweet 100's and sometimes heirlooms such as Brandywine's. Depends on what's left before they get tossed. I see the rhubarb buds are showing in the little garden so that should be prime this year with 3rd (red) and 4th (green) season plants. A hunk of warm rhubarb pie with ice cream would taste mighty good before my nap. smile

This year I've out done myself... Perhaps a little too far.

I select my own seeds each year... From plants with traits like: Early germination, fast growing, early producing, fruit size/integrity and flavor.

My seedlings are currently growing like WILD FIRE.

In fact I have some poblano peppers that are already 12 inches tall!

I planted everything the same time I do every year... By my seed selection has given me faster growth traits in the plants I'm growing.

By the time these babies go in the ground it's going to be epic.

Here's my play list for 2011

TOMATOES

San Marzano (Half of all tomatoes I grow are SM's that I can to get me through the winter)

Rosalita Grape tomato (Prolific)

Black Cherry

Black Krim

Glacier

Brandywine

PEPPERS

Aji Dulce (Habanero bred without the heat)

Jalapeno

Carolina Wonder Green Pepper

Poblano

THREE SISTERS

Buhl Heirloom Sweet Corn

Cornfield beans

Waltham Butternut squash

HERBS

Mint

Rosemary

Genovese Basil

Greek Oregano (Like O.Vulgare on Steroids)

Italian Parsley

ROOT VEG

Sugar Beets

Danver's Half Long carrots

French Breakfast Radishes

Russet Potatoes

Horseradish

Scallions

FRUIT

Early Glow June Bearing Strawberries

Ozark Beauty Ever Bearing Strawberries

4 different kinds of blue berries

2 Reliance Peach Trees

2 Pie Cherry trees

Miscellaneous

Rosa Bianca Eggplant

Costa Romanesca Zucchini

Wilson Sweet Watermelon

Sugar Pumpkin (Once you make a pie from real you can't go back to canned!)

Mamoth Melting Snow Peas

I think my stuff is a little on the cool side. there for the reason for slow growth.

but he forcast is predicting warmer air temps finally which means I can finally move some seedlings to the front porch. real sun and will heat up the soil there in. but its on the west side of my house.

I think my stuff is a little on the cool side. there for the reason for slow growth.

but he forcast is predicting warmer air temps finally which means I can finally move some seedlings to the front porch. real sun and will heat up the soil there in. but its on the west side of my house.

No... I think you're looking good... You got a little bit of a late start on planting... (I got a little bit too early of a start.)

At this point in the game you kind of don't want to give them too strong of sun and you don't want them too warm... Cool temps make for thicker stocks and those thicker stocks will handle the wind of summer storms better.

When you first put little seedlings in direct sun for the first time it can be a bit of a shock to them. A lot will wilt back and you have to give them cool water to invigorate.

The sun can be a harsh mistress after a short life of being coddled in the tender crib of your house.

So a little sun through a window is OK... But I wouldn't leave them unattended on the porch the first day or two.

Nainoa,

What do you do with your sugar beets at harvest time?

Beets are awesome!

When I thin in Mid June... I take the small ones and I "Candy" them in an apricot syrup and have them as a dessert course.

When I get the mature product, Large one's are roasted and chopped into a salad that's served accompanying grilled steak. (Beets and Steak play together very nicely)

I've played with Borscht, but never did it proper justice. Then I'll quarter (Or 8th) down the medium beets and pickle them with red onions.

And then of course at any point in all of this I'll add the greens into a any mesclun green salad.

Certainly I use the old standard "Detroit Dark Red" for everything you have noted but sugar beets certainly is a new one on me. I have even tried to eat the young sugar beets out of the commercial fields and was not very excited about them. I guess you learn something new every day. Where do you get the seed? I have never seen sugar beet seed in the catalogs.

Glad to see somebody else is such a fan of Black Krim heirlooms. My wife used to say "can't stand tomatoes" so she hadn't eaten one in twenty years. I brought a Black Krim into the kitchen a few Falls ago and "forced" her to try it. She couldn't believe how good it tasted and now waits impatiently for harvest.

So I'll be growing 5 different types of heirlooms again this year along with lettuce, radishes, Japanese Kuru squash, and bush beans. For some reason I'm the only person alive who can't grow zuchinni. The fruit just rots off the vine. I've tried magnesium (egg shells) and adjusted pH but maybe it's just one of those things you have to accept in life.

I couldnt find black krim seeds locally,when I went into my local farmer seed and nursery that acted as if I was nuts for asking about them. your looking for what a black krim the lady clerk asked. maybe i can find a plant some where

Certainly I use the old standard "Detroit Dark Red" for everything you have noted but sugar beets certainly is a new one on me. I have even tried to eat the young sugar beets out of the commercial fields and was not very excited about them. I guess you learn something new every day. Where do you get the seed? I have never seen sugar beet seed in the catalogs.

Whoops... Sorry... I should have said "High Sugar content Beets"

Not Commercially grown "Sugar Beets"

I have some Heirloom seeds that I traded seeds for and keep... I've come to think of them as "Sugar Beets" but yeah they are basically just an heirloom sweeter variety of a Bullsblood.

LOL...

That could have gone bad for someone!

I couldnt find black krim seeds locally,when I went into my local farmer seed and nursery that acted as if I was nuts for asking about them. your looking for what a black krim the lady clerk asked. maybe i can find a plant some where

I had to actually get mine through an heirloom seed exchange. But they are becoming more and more popular in MN...

I've found a couple of nurseries that carry their sister the Black Crimson, which is just like the Black Krim except it's a smooth bodied fruit, where as the Black Krim is an irregular shaped fruit.

Glad to see somebody else is such a fan of Black Krim heirlooms. My wife used to say "can't stand tomatoes" so she hadn't eaten one in twenty years. I brought a Black Krim into the kitchen a few Falls ago and "forced" her to try it. She couldn't believe how good it tasted and now waits impatiently for harvest.

So I'll be growing 5 different types of heirlooms again this year along with lettuce, radishes, Japanese Kuru squash, and bush beans. For some reason I'm the only person alive who can't grow zuchinni. The fruit just rots off the vine. I've tried magnesium (egg shells) and adjusted pH but maybe it's just one of those things you have to accept in life.

Whew... I've had to move some of my larger plants out to the rear window of my fish house, as sort of a life boat. (Green house is over grown and the next batch of seedlings are germinating.)

Fired up the wood stove last night went to bed... Forgot to reload... But they at least survived.

Next year I'm definitely going to have to plant a week or two later.

I found my first Black Krim in a peat pot at a greenhouse (sorry, don't remember which one). I have saved seeds since. The point being, if you really want a Black Krim, call around, they are becoming fairly easy to find at garden centers/greenhouses.

I was about five weeks behind you which was a couple weeks later than I planted last year and it looks like I am still a couple weeks early. The tomatoes and peppers look tremendous though. Some of the tomatoes are getting their first transplant today.