• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Converting slide to digital photo

You can have them done at a number of businesses in the metro area, but it gets to be awfully spendy. You can buy a scanner that will convert them for under $150 and put the time in yourself. I have a CanoScan that does a decent job, just have to fine the time!

The scanner that I have does 4 slides at a time. It's been awhile since I've done any, but it seems like it probably took a minute or more for each set by the time you put them in, take them out, label and them on the computer. Then any digital "fixing" will take more time. That's why companies charge .25 to .60 per slide. Scanners rum from under $100, just google slide scanners and you'll get lots of information and comparisons. There is also a device available that connects to a DSLR camera and then takes a picture of slides individually. I think they run around $100, unlike a scanner, the only thing they do is take pictures of slides, and from what I've seen/read, the quality is not typically as good as a scanner.

It really is worth the time and effort and I'm thinking it'd be a great Father's Day gift.

So, here is one I scanned - I make NO claims as to the quality of the original slide (in fact it was probably pretty awful!)

Original Scan:

full-22063-7013-img_0015.jpg

with a bit of post processing (which all my pictures need!)

full-22063-7014-jsa.jpg

Thanks Ken, maybe I have to do it so much I'm getting better at fixing! Actually, I hope my images are better straight out of the camera now anyway!

@ SC Banks, I've seen something in those mags too, but have no idea how well they work. Hope that you are staying dry down there in Afton!