• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

steering wheel

sparky27

Hey guys, i got my boat out for the first time this year yesterday. Everything went great except, i could not steer my boat. I have a 06' tracker with 115 merc, centet console. The steering wheel would not turn. It took everything i had to turn the wheel just enough to steer the boat. Any ideas?

Sounds like the steering cable is seized up. More than likely time for a replacement.

Disconnect to drag link (that hooks between the motor and the throttle cable on the LH side of the motor and see if the motor is hard to turn, or if the steering cable is hard to extend / retract.

I'm guessing it's the cable.

marine_man

It's am easy job if you are handy with repairs. When you rake the old steering cable off be sure to note the numbers along the housing, you will need that to match the new cable. Or you can take the whole thing at the dealer and have them match it.

It's pretty straight forward... however, depending on how much space you have between the motor and the RH Boat structure... if your motor is in a pretty tight splashwell, you'll have to pull the engine to get the cable out.

marine_man