• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Solo Powerhead

forcedtowork

I got my new Solo 2.5 hp power head yesterday after ordering it on Monday, and it sounds mean. I can't wait to take it out on the ice this weekend. It started on 3 pulls and started much easier than my Lazer Mag Express. I am very impressed with it.

My Solo starts 3 pulls every time out no matter the conditions. Last year it was 2 pulls every time but I think running a tank of brown, rotten gas through it gummed it up a bit so it now takes three this season.

1st pull (choked) nothing

2nd pull (choked) chugs a bit

3rd pull (turn off choke), fires right up. EVERY TIME, like clockwork.

Takes about 7 seconds to start the auger...a bit slower than an electric but she'll drill all day.

This is what the StrikeMaster FAQ says for starting:

1. Turn ON/OFF switch to ON.

2. Prime engine 5 to 8 times.

3. Slide the choke lever to start.

4. Press the decompression button in. Gently and slowly pull recoil rope until resistance is felt, then finish the pull with a short, quick pull.

Note: it is VERY important to find that resistance before pulling cord. That engages all the components properly. This decompression and resistance check Must be done before every pull.

Once you hear the engine fire, slide the choke lever to run. Continue the pulling Procedure until engine starts

---------------------------------------

This is how I start mines after its been off for more than 30 min or so:

1. Prime bulb 5 to 8+ times

2. If cold start will put choke lever and pull till I hear it fire up. Then switch to run and pull till the engine runs.

3. If not on a cold start, leave the lever on run after priming 5-8 times, I pull till it starts.

Once the engine has fired up it typically will start with 1 to 3 pulls from what I noticed on my Solo.

I got the powerhead from D-Rock Service Center in New Brighton, Strikemaster sent me to them. It is a used power head, but it was used to drill holes for an ice fishing contest, it wasn't a super great deal, but better than having to go buy a whole new unit, which I would have done if I couldn't buy just the power head, only it would have been a Jiffy. I am glad things worked out the way they did though.