• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garmin Nuvi and LakeMaster

I use the lakemaster chip in my nuvi 755t. I like it a lot for ice fishing because the hand drawn maps that you get at the landing are just to general. I believe the detail is great for the most part but you are not able to zoom in very far on mine. I think it only zooms down to 80 ft but if you are driving around on the ice it gives you a good idea of where you are at. I took a chance and bought my chip knowing that even if it didn't work very well in the nuvi that I would have to buy one for a handheld anyways. I am very happy with it though and have not purchased that handheld yet. Hope this helps.

I've been thinking the same thing Dave. A couple things 1 it says on the Garmin site that some features may not work with the Nuvi. I ? what those features are and 2 you can only by the chip from Garmin. Not sure if they are issues or not but I like the idea of having a multi purpose gps now they need to make one that accesses WIFI and they would be the perfect toy.

Primarily on a Nuvi the features that would be limited on the LakeMaster or the Garmin Inland Lakes data cards or CD would be to deal with sonar functions, aerial photo's, or marine network capability's on the water. As a Nuvi is not a sonar, nor is it wired into a marine network, so these functions would not apply. But the data would apply if used in a Garmin Marine unit.

Garmin software and mapping has different levels of on the water support and functionality, as seen in the Garmin Blue Chart G2 and in the Garmin Inland Lakes Vision Series of mapping. Many Aspects of the mapping potential in the G2 series would not work to it's full potential in a Nuvi. Were the Garmin Inland Lakes would have enhanced features not found on the LakeMaster, but only seen in the Garmin data.

Vocal pier to pier voice prompts do not function on the water in "Boating Mode", as in "Turn right in 1.5 miles". You are prompted in a visual mode and not vocally, prompted by use of arrows or navigation lanes.

You would really need to read the manual on the specific Nuvi model you wished to buy to know it's overall capability. You can go this from the Garmin web site.

This should also help.

Question: What limitations will I encounter when using Topo, Marine, US TrailMaps or Rails-to-Trails mapping with my nuvi, zumo or StreetPilot?

Answer: When purchasing Topo, Marine, US TrailMaps or Rails-to-Trails mapping for your nuvi, zumo or StreetPilot, please be aware that this mapping may function with limited compatibility when viewing the map on the device.

Topo mapping will provide access to very basic information such as terrain contours, elevation information, trails, and rivers1. Inland Lakes and LakeMaster will provide access to basic shoreline and depth detail and limited points of interest. US TrailMaps and Rails-to-Trails mapping will provide access to the basic trail outline and/or limited Points of Interest.

There are certain elements of these mapping products that were designed for use on dedicated Outdoor and Marine GPS products that will not be displayed on a nuvi, zumo or StreetPilot device. If you would like to use these mapping products and experience the highest level of detail and functionality, it is recommended that they be used on a dedicated Outdoor or Marine GPS product.

In addition, when viewing this mapping on your device, please ensure that you have disabled your City Navigator mapping and changed your Map View from the default 3D view to either Track Up or North Up:

1. From the main menu touch Tools

2. Touch Settings (Not required for all devices)

3. Touch Map

4. Touch Info/Map Info

5. Remove the check from City Navigator to disable the street mapping (remember to check this box to restore street mapping when using the device in a vehicle)

6. Touch Back

7. Change your Map View either North Up or Track Up

8. Press and hold Back to return to the main menu

Your nuvi, zumo or StreetPilot is now ready for use with Topo, Marine, US TrailMaps or Rails-to-Trails mapping. Please remember that many automotive devices are not waterproof and should be treated carefully when being used near water.

1 The nuvi 500 and 550 will not experience many of these limitations.

I have been using the Nuvi 205 in my car and was pleasantly surprised that I could put the Lakemaster map for Mille Lacs on it. The screen is larger than on my Oregon 450 and it is is far nicer for finding spots when driving in the car or on the 4-wheeler. Accuracy is very good!

I suggest getting the Lakemaster CD and you can put on a couple of HD maps like Mille Lacs and Gull Lakes without having to use a micro-SD card. The internal memory is plenty large enough.

A simple thing to also miss when working with the Nuvi and Lake Maps is to be sure to set the Map Detail to the MOST setting.

By default it will be in the Normal Mode, kick it up to MOST. You will gain more detail and info on a Nuvi that way too.

This is great information. I have been leaning towards the Nuvi 500 because it states it is Waterproof. However I would much prefer a larger screen. I have decided I will most likely get the Lakemaster CD version for Minnesota. A couple of minor issues are battery/power consumption. It appears that the larger screens burn through the battery faster, it only makes sense. Can anyone tell me how many satelites the Nuvi systems connect too? I have an old Garmin XL12 which shows me this. When I checked Garmin site specific to the 500 I could not find the information. Thanks for the information. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge.

Thanks for the information. I am thinking of the either the Nuvi 1300 or 1400 series. I will most likely get the Lakemaster CDrom version for Garmin. I wish Garmin would take the GPSMAP 400 series and develope a flasher mode and an ice transducer. Then I would mount it on my 4-wheeler during winter and let my son use it on the ice while I use my Vexilar. Of course I would then put it in my boat for summer months. I wish LakeMaster had more of an instructional video. Or is that easy to use? Does anyone know how many satelites the Auto units use for GPS signals? Just curious.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.