• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat remodeling

drippinwet

Well the prop info (D and P) were not stamped on there. I took it to a marina and they sent it out (for free) to their prop guy to get a measurement on it to determine P. I should know in about a week what it is. Also, I am going to try my buddies prop tomorrow and see if his works better. His is more horizontal than mine which means it should be slightly better.

Any ideas on what to do with my gear problems? I turned that rod that connects under the carbs, how do I know where to turn it back to?!?!?!?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not aware of any "procedure "... I would disconnect the shift cable and try to figure out which direction it is off ands adjust accordingly. Verify you are in neutral by rotating the prop... If it rotates freely you're in neutral.

marine_man

Well I think the motor is too small for my boat now. I bought a boat that is 1 foot longer and wider, plus went from a small tri-hull to a deep V and added in 3/4" treated plywood to the back for a platform to the boat. I checked compression (110, 100 and 100), got great spark and motor is at the correct depth. The motor revs like it wants to go but then bogs like it cannot push the boat. I have no idea what else it could be....The motor is a 1976 75 HP Evinrude

Ugh now I really don't know. One mechanic says the compression is low and the motor is not strong enough anymore, another says my motor is far enough in the water while another says it is not far enough in the water. Not to mention I cut my transom to make it work and supposedly it is still not far enough and in order to get a 20" shaft motor to fit I need to build it back up. I have no idea what to believe and this thing is beginning to stress me out...FML, what do I do?!?

What Pitch Prop are you running?

Can you repost your specs? Motor HP, Boat length?

The cavitation plate (the big flat plate on the lower unit) should be flush with the bottom of the boat.

Your compression doesn't sound too far out of line... at a minimum they're all pretty close to each other... it could be a little higher, but I've heard of worse.

marine_man

Well i have come to the conclusion that my motor is not low enough. I have a 15 inch short shaft and it does not reach far enough into the water. I had to cut my transom to get it as low as i did and it is not low enough. So now I am looking at selling or trading my motor for a 20 inch shaft to throw on the boat.

OK well the motor is a short shaft and now long enough, I have it up for sale, and just purchased a 90 HP Mercury with power tilt and trim.....I am removing the old motor now and then need to rebuild the portion of the transom I cut out....I am going to put a piece of wood in the slot, fiberglass it and wrap the back all the way up and over the piece I just mounted....then bolt the aluminum plate (stainless stell would be too heavy right?) to the boat and then bolt the motor through the piece as well....then try to connect everything lol