• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

State High School Hockey Tourney?

This is right from the Excel HSOforum.

Quote:
Camera Policy

The following are general rules of camera use and are subject to change at any time based on a specific request from the event or promoter:

Sporting Events

Non-flash, still cameras of any type may be used to take pictures of sporting events or events where house lights are illuminated during a performance. Any tripod or other photography equipment may not be used or placed in any area of the building without building issued media credentials.

Concerts and Other Events

Cameras with a detachable lens or lens of more than two (2) inches are prohibited from all Xcel Energy Center concerts. The use of flash photography may also be prohibited. The event producer reserves the right to deny camera use at any time before or during the event and to prohibit the use of any camera that is deemed unacceptable.

Video Recorders or Digital Cameras

Video recorders or digital cameras with recording capabilities are prohibited at any time during an event. Xcel Energy Center reserves the right to examine and prohibit use of any camera that staff deem unacceptable. Audio recorders are not allowed at any time.

Failure to comply with Xcel Energy Center camera policy may result in the film being confiscated.

In addition the Minnesota State High School League has restrictions on photography, generally only if you photograph for hire. If you are a team parent in the stands I would think you might just fine. When in doubt it pays to contact the media contact for the MSHSL and the Excel. If you go to the MSHSL HSOforum there is a hockey page which will give you more info and contact info.

I haven't shot at the state tourney since it was in the old Civic Center. At that time, just about anything went. I sat with half a dozen other guys that had big rigs and we shot hockey and talked photography.

That said, things are a bit different now, and they could be changing again soon. I'm sure as far as the Excel goes, they'll be okay with the high school tourney, but I know you can't go in to a Wild game with professional looking gear unless you have credentials.

Up until now, the majority of restrictions that the MSHSL puts on photography has been minimal. In baseball a few years ago they mandated that baseball and softball venues had to designate a "photography area" mostly for safety concerns, but also because some photographers were literally running down the base paths taking shots of players. Electronically timed events will prevent flash photography, particularly in pools.

About three weeks ago I was contacted by a representative from the Section 7 committee in regards to sanctioning photographers at high school events. They have been asked by the state organization to begin discussions at the section level as to reasonable restrictions, fees, etc. Many other states already do this. They aren't concerned with mom and dad with a point and shoot in the stands, but those with better equipment trying to make a buck. Lots of reasons for that. Some financial. The MSHSL is looking for any way to increase revenue just like everyone else. Also, at some venues (probably more in the Cities than up here)there is getting to be more competition for choice shooting spots. How many should you allow at a particular game type of thing, and how would you regulate that. And, unfortunately, earlier this year there was a guy caught taking shots with professional gear at a local girls basketball game that was taking shots, should we say not of the basketball action, and for his home computer. Yuck! Athletic Directors in our section have been asked by the Section Committee to make sure anybody photographing their games are legit. So, I suspect that things will tighten up in the near future for anyone that has gear that looks like it might be professional. Some states only allow specific companies who have contracted with them to shoot any events for pay throughout their high school programs - from their state tournaments to the Friday night game in Podunk, USA.

All that said, I think it would be great to shoot the State Hockey again. I have a couple of buddies that have kids playing. Who knows?