• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice-out open water crappies?

mainbutter

Well my fishing season has ended until ice-out. I had fun trying out ice fishing this year and will definitely do it again next year, hopefully with more equipment and more time to get out.

However I'm looking forward to ice out so I can get the canoe out on the water. Of course since the season will be closed for my typical targets (bass and pike), I think I'd like to try my hand at crappies this year.

I've only ever caught a crappie once EVER, and that was an incidental catch that I can only assume was defending its nest as it hit on a 6'' swimbait.

I really have no idea where to start, other than picking a random lake, hoping it has a crappie population, and paddling all around with a portable fish finder looking for anything suspended (and HOPING that if there IS something suspended, the fish finder can actually see it) and vertical jigging with small stuff.

Anyone want to expand my tactics with some choice bits of information?

Once ice is out and water starts heating up, try and get out fishing anytime the water is 60-67degrees. The crappies will spawn then and usually u can catch tons and tons of pies. For tactics, locate any kind of structure and slip bobber fish. You may only have to put your hook below a foot or sometimes 10ft. It all depends on depth and where you are fishing. Then, just cast up to shoreline or structure and hope your bobber goes under. Make sure to tip your plain hooks with crappie minnows. Really, when fishing for pies in the spring, it is very easy!

Good luck and catch lots,

Cody

First off crappie wont spawn untill after walleye has opened. Usually around town the best time to get crappie is from the middle of April till the middle of May. On warm sunny days the fish will pull into the shallows in the afternoon. Early in the day these fish stage outside these areas in 10' - 5' If you live in MPLS you can catch them pretty good in Cedar Lake in the bay on the west side between the 2 points. I always caught them there as a kid from shore.

After the ice is off, I will start right away. I look for shallow flats,shallow bays with muddy bottoms and pencil weeds. They will come in, in the early evening. The water has warmed up in the 3-5FOW and it is a blast catching them.

Sniffer

After the ice is off, I will start right away. I look for shallow flats,shallow bays with muddy bottoms and pencil weeds. They will come in, in the early evening. The water has warmed up in the 3-5FOW and it is a blast catching them.

Sniffer

X2. I will also start right after ice out. Heck even before the ice is fully out. Target shallow basins, any signs of green, shallow lakes first. Thats goes for ponds and small lakes till the larger lakes warm up. I have also caught by accident on tiny crappie jigs very large walleyes as a bonus. Now that will get your blood boiling for the Walleye opener. P.S. strange enough I have very large pikes hit my crappie and or tiny crappie jigs too.

if you have only caught one crappie then you haven't enjoyed the best time of the year to fish....the spring!!!! The crappies are a blast to catch at this time of the year cause you can catch them on anything. they could be in shallow (4' or under) one day and in 12' the next but the one consistant is that they will most likely be feeding and feeding aggressivly......the easiest way to fish them is concentrate on bays or shallow muddy bottoms in the 1-5' range and then cast a slip bobber and a small plastic profile or a flu-flu and just keep casting and slowly retrieving until you find the fish....when you find one you should be able to find many more and if they move so should you......Good Luck