• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bald Eagles on the Mississippi

Spearing Machine

I have always wanted to spend a weekend down by Winona or across the river on the WI side near La Crosse and watch and photograph the large mass of Bald Eagles in the winter? Does anyone have any experience with that?? Care to share good or bad locations to start out at, any tips or pointers would be gladly accepted. For the photo photography folks, would my 100-400 have enough reach?? I know in the past it sounds if though the eagles are a long way out and getting decent shots is difficult. Thanks in advance!

Jeremy, I wouldn't bother around Wabasha or Alma right now. The counts are down over 90% of what they were a few weeks ago. I understand there is too much open water. I've just learned that central and southern Iowa is experiencing the largest groups of eagles and that about 50% of the nests in the area have eagles actively preparing for nesting season. I've seen photos from Burlington, IA that were pretty amazing. I've also seen some that were too far away for a decent pic no matter what size lens you have. I've seen the largest concentrations at Alma, Wi, but my best photos were at Red Wing, due to how close they came. Luck is a large factor. At time the 100-400 were plenty and other times not near long enough. Actually, all you need is 1 or 2 cooperative ones to make it a great day.

Thanks for the info, Mike! Maybe I will just hold off then and see if anything changes but spring will be fast approaching and that means they will be dispersing and heading off to build nests and rear some young. I will be down in the very SE corner of Iowa (Keokuk) in a couple weeks, maybe I will luck out when I am down there on spring break.

I will be down in the very SE corner of Iowa (Keokuk) in a couple weeks, maybe I will luck out when I am down there on spring break.

You'll be just 40 miles south of Burlington. You're going to be in the hotspot. Good luck. Even if the photography conditons aren't ideal, they're still a blast to watch.

The MN River Valley can also play host to several Bald Eagles this time of year. I was fortunate enough to capture this one feasting on an orange tabby cat this afternoon. Sorry if the pics aren't very good quality. It's the best I could do with the time I had. Both pics were from about 25-30 feet away.

full-8710-6056-img_0671.jpg

full-8710-6057-img_0672.jpg

The background is looking over a gravel pit with the eagle sitting on the bank near the road (about 1 1/2 miles east of the MN River and a mile south of Le Sueur. A couple of the other pics I had show the equipment in the background.

full-8710-6074-img_0673.jpg

full-8710-6075-img_0674.jpg