• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rookie Question

FLnick87

I go another decoy for Christmas, an 8 inch Lakco. It has two open wholes in the bottom and one on top. Am I supposed to weight it myself or what? It seems very light compared to my other decoy, and when I jig it it just flutters straight back down. Me and my dad did have our first successful outing yesterday stickin 3. 2 on live suckers, one one on a decoy. Pretty fun!

Does it look like one of these?

2524_image.jpg

Quote:
Lakco Easy Drop Spearing Decoys

New! Instead of the old heavy lead, glide-like-a-bomb style decoys that we're used to, these new Lakco spearing decoys are hollow bodied and fill up with water for a slower more natural action. More finesse means a better shot at a wily predator. Buy individually or in the all-color 5 Pack

These are plastic "water filled" decoys.....

Generally speaking they "swim" as you described.

That don't mean they won't bring in fish.

You can epoxy some split shots to them to get weight in the proper places to make it swim right (if you want to spend the time with it) or just use it as it is.

You would be amazed at the number of fish brought in with "out of the box" plastic bear creeks. smile

Use tape to temporarily hold the split shots in place, then swim test the decoy in an old aquarium, your bathtub, or any other water holding device.

Just don't let spearhead know you have one. smile

Thanks a lot. I think I will return it and get a better swimmer

The hand carved wood decoys your best best.

Find some local carvers that have good reputations and try some of their decoys.

Everyone likes different actions (fast slow etc) on their decoys.

Try a few and see what you like.

After a bit you might want to try carving your own.

Personally, I like to jig the decoys a lot. I change quite often too. I don't have enough patience to sit there and not move the decoys.

Put us in the same house we'd be fighting over the string. I can never seem to leave it sit still for long. They're carved to swim and swim the will.