• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Light in dark house spooks fish?

jaysonmol

Ok I hope this isn't too stupid of a question, but wanted to ask your thoughts on weather a little light leaking into your dark house really spooks away fish or not? I always told growing up that any light at all would spook away fish, but yet if you fish with tip up or on ice all the light in the world is getting in. On the other hand I always seem to see more fish on cloudy days, or late afternoons when the sun behind trees.

over all, yes i think it has an affect on spearing. with that said ive stepped out side a several occasions and had a nord hit my decoys. i've also plaed with little hammerhandles when they where in the hole, opened the door and didnt spook it and i've seen it where it did spook them.

It's not so much the light that scares them, as the shadows light casts across the hole. As stated above, when you move an arm to reach for a spear, or twitch a decoy, they see the dark shadow move above them.

In complete darkness there's no movement of shadow for them to see. Still have to move a bit stealthily though. There's often enough light coming up from the hole to give you away if you're not careful.