• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tire chains on wheeler?

HANS76

Snug is just fine. They won't slip and rotate around because the chains are kind of held in

between the traction paddles. Plus you won't have chunks of rubber coming off like you may with them too tight.

Just take some air out of the tires, put them on, air them back to spec and they'll be snug enough. No need to sit there and try to get them tight by hand, that would be a pain.

I just put mine on today and snug is just fine and as mentioned above let some air out first then put them on and air the tires up again. Also make sure if there is a few extra loose link on the ends to tie them to the chains so they are not flying around because they can cause damage to you or the machine.

Wondering how fast everyone else can go with chains on. i put a set on the rear of my big bear and when i get going past maybe 10 or 15 mph the chains start to slap the fender. not sure if that is normal or if i should be getting them tighter, they are pretty tight already.

thanks

Are you sure it was the chains, or just the tag end of chain? I cut my extra links off, if I thought I would have bigger tires some day a guy could just zip tie the tag ends. If it is the actual chains then they must be too loose! There is no way they should hit the fender.

I could go faster but am comfortable with 20 mph give or take a little. They could potentially come off at any time. If they do, the slower the better in terms of minimizing damage in the fender well or to suspension components or worse.

My chains would hit the fenders on mt Honda Foreman. I made a set of bungie cords smaller than the diamiter of the rim and put 5 or 6 s-hooks on to hook to the chain. It snuged them up real good and went form being able to go about 13MPH to around 22MPH.

Snug is just fine. They won't slip and rotate around because the chains are kind of held in

between the traction paddles. Plus you won't have chunks of rubber coming off like you may with them too tight.

Just take some air out of the tires, put them on, air them back to spec and they'll be snug enough. No need to sit there and try to get them tight by hand, that would be a pain.

Exaclty what I also do. Never had one move or come loose yet.

I also take any exccess link or tag end and use tie straps and get them so they will not fly around and hit anything else like a fende or whatever it could come into contact with.

First time I put them on it took an hour. Now, 35 minutes maybe. One does get use to putting them on and the little tricks here and there.