• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Food Plot Question

Hockeybc, I do believe "flame" is just a brand of ammonium sulfate. We bought it from the Elevators in Williams last summer to accompany the roundup.

I didn't realize this would be such an intense debate. Ha ha. I am a wildlife biologist actually so our property is constantly being tweaked to enhance habitat for sharptail grouse, ruffed grouse, and whitetails. All of which we have good populations of in our area.

Nonteepical. We have actively managed our forests on our property. We have had it selectively harvested for timber, burned, etc. You name it we have done it. I have worked closely with wildlife biologists with more experience than I to make sure our forests are "up to snuff."

Pinusbanksiana. The carrying capacity is the size of the population in which the environment can sustain indefinitely. I agree that snow and cold are limiting factors but by planting high calorie foods we would be assisting them to make it through these winters by building up their fat reserves. The theory is in the long, long run we MAY see an increase in population on our property and adjacent areas. Which by my estimations using the Malthus logistic model of population growth, our land and adjacent areas would be able to handle the SLIGHT increase in population.

Anyhow, thank you all for your input again. I value all the information provided in making my food plot decision. You have all given me some good thoughts. To my estimation I have about 4.5-5 months to get a plan figured out. Thanks again!