• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Home made wheel house registration

tsande00

OK guys - I know I have seen this discussed on here before but I couldn't find what I was looking for.

I recently finished fixing up and converting an old skid house into a wheelhouse.

What does a guy need to make a wheelhouse legal - both for on the road and on the ice. It is currently not registered to anybody.

Do you register it as a trailer? A camper? Can I get the permanent registration for it? What types of information do I need in order to get it registered? (Do I need exact dimensions and weight?)

As far as on the lake - can I just put my DNR number on the outside if I'm not leaving it unattended overnight? What if I do leave it overnight unattended?

Any input from those who have gone through this process in the past would be appreciated!

You will need to go to the dmv and get it registered. Bring some receipts of some of the stuff you purchased to build/ convert it. When I went in to register mine the criteria they gave me to weather it can be registered for lifetime or yearly was if it has a bathroom it must be registered yearly like a camper. If it has no bathroom it can be registered as a utility trailer and that is for a lifetime. I have heard other stories about the criteria from others thou. This is just what they asked me.

I would go to one of the more forgiving DMV's. I know of a couple that are real strict about everything and some that are not so strict. If you know some of the not so strict ones I would go to them. They will need some proof of building like receipts of supplies.

I went to maple grove and they were quite good about it all.

After all of that you will still need a shelter tag if left overnight on a lake.

If you're going to leave it unattended, you need a shelter tag.

Are you sure its strong enough to go down a road? Does it have a metal frame?

The drop down frame is made out of 2X2 square steel tubing with reinforcement throughout. Given the size and weight of the house it should be plenty strong. House is only 12' long and doesn't weigh much with the skids removed. It is constructed with 2x4 corners and 2x2 studs. Steel siding.

The problems I see with registering it is that the house was built 20 years ago by my brother and the frame materials that weren't found laying around the family farm were purchased about 5 years ago. We just recently put it all together and got everything working. There are no more receipts.

Surprisingly the styrofoam insulation under the floor (exposed to the elements) is still in perfect shape after all these years.

This thing is a budget wheelhouse, lol. It works but she ain't exceptionally pretty, outside looks pretty good (steel siding doesn't age much) but the inside is a bit run down. It's only use will be moving it to the local lake about 7 miles away a few times a month. No Red or LOTW trips in her future.

Also - No bathroom, just a plain empty shack with a bunk and a futon, 4 holes.