• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

charging ATV battery

basslkjohn

I've just changed out the voltage regulator on my Outlander 400 and I've read a lot of information on managing batteries. One technique that hasn't been discussed is the use of the accessory port for charging and/or maintaining the battery. I've purchased a trickle charger and an energency power pack so that I won't get stuck on the lake due to a dead battery. But wouldn't it be much easier to use the accessory port for routine maintenance charging? I think I would have to have the ignition key turned on to activate the port...but so what? The minimal drain represented by the active ignition shouldn't be greater than the charge flowing to the battery....right? As always, thanks guys.

I've replaced three batteries my 06 EFI atv. It's got about 250 miles and mainly is used in the Winter. People I've talked to said sitting for six months at a time will kill the batteries. Has to do with the EFI electronic drain or something.

What I decided to do rather than have the thing using electricity all the time is to install a cut off switch. It's been in for several months and the battery is still very strong.

My mechanic placed the kill switch "key" in the front cover near to the fuse pannel.

Yup, you guys are right. I hooked up a battery tender pigtail to the batter and will keep it topped up. Another benefit: the pigtail is a really convenient port with which to monitor the performance of the voltage regulator. Just stick the meter probes into the pigtail, rev up the motor and pray for 14.5 volts. Thanks again.