• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cutting Trails on Public Land

nofishfisherman

So I'm not an ATV rider but I came across an extensive ATV trail built on public/dnr land this weekend while deer hunting.

I'm curious as to what the legal implications are in this situation. I know clearing trees larger than 4" in diamater is illegal but what about build an ATV trail, i saw some larger trees cut down to make the trail but mainly they cut they trail around the trees as much as possible. Its an old trail that is well worn with just very short trampled vegetation growing on it.

The trail is atleast a mile long, I'm sure its longer but I didn't walk to the end. Its also dotted with permanet tree stands which I know are illegal.

I'm tempted to turn the guy in but I am curious if anyone has experience with this and can tell me what the legal implications are. How hard is it to prove it was this particular land owner. I am 100% sure it was him but will the law think the same way I do? Also this guy is a real piece of work and is almost impossible to deal with. Everytime you talk to him its borderline harrasment.

Just want to get some opinions if possible.

I sent the info to the local CO. He claims to be looking into it. If it were just the trails I would have left it alone but the trails are just a part. THis guy was guilty of no less than 7 violations on Saturday alone. They have all been brought up to the CO.

Proving anything is going to be tough but hopefully a visit will be enough to keep the guy honest.