• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rear Tail light and Chain Case

DTro

1. I have one burned out on an '03 classic. So there are 3 lens sections. I removed all the screws and tried taking off the one that is burned and couldn't get the lens off, so I took the middle one off and that didn't help either. I tried prying on the lens, but it won't pop off and I don't want to break it. Am I missing something?

2. I want to try changing my chain lube and wondering if there are any tips/tricks to doing this? (It has reverse).

With the bulb have you tired going in via the storage area and accesing? I am thinking about having to reach in the rear trunk, grab and twist off instead of pulling covers off from the outside?

I am trying to think of rev. has a drain plug or not. I would bet it does not or if it does it is almost impossible to get at. The chain-case really is just taking the cover off, cleaning, reapply RTV or replacing the gasket, then refill. But IMO warming it up on the stand just to loosen the lube up, sucking out the old with one of these for around $20.00:

full-18196-3268-gearlube.jpgYou can use this lube extractor on many things that are a pain to change (no plug) like rear ends, gear boxes, ext...

replacing with lube of your choice is what I would do. If I recall you do not run studs, but for what you use your sled for, even if you ran studs there is (unless a problem or concern happened) to tear down for inspection, new gasket and refill.

Well I got the lens off, it's a tricky deal as the seal is almost like adhesive. I had to warm it up with a hair dryer then it finally broke free. Then I found out the hard way that the bulb pulls straight out and doesn't twist.....youch!

Added a Tach today too, that will be nice to have. Hopefully I can get to that chaincase next.

I was very tempted to go for a spin today, but decided to not to,

The chaincase is a big and messy job, especially with reverse. Is there a problem or just maintenance? I would guess you have to remove quite a few components just to get to the case, then the lube just drains out into the pan and on to the floor.

If it were mine, I would do what Shack suggested to replace what lube you can get to with the suction device and leave the R/R job for over the summer.