• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Entry Level DSLR

So, my fiance has told me she wants to get into photography and wants to get a DSLR for Christmas. I've been looking around a little bit and came up with a couple camera's that look like they're more geared towards beginners, but still have to functionality to take high quality pictures. The two I've been looking at are:

Nikon D5000

Canon Rebel T1i

Has anyone used either of these? Anyone hear anything particularly good/bad about either? How would they be as a start up DSLR? I want to get her something she can use, but won't want to replace in two years. Any help is appreciated.

OnaAFly, I've got photo excursion clients who have used both systems. Each likes them a lot. You will hear good AND bad things reading online reviews of any camera or lens.

These days, the entry level DSLRs from the top three or four manufacturers are all excellent, and while there are minor differences between them, the very most important thing in choosing one or the other is how well the controls make sense to her and how the camera feels in her hands.

As well as the camera, I'd recommend a wide angle zoom lens and a telephoto zoom lens, and of course she'll need spare camera batteries, memory cards, bag, etc. Ideally, you price these things out at National Camera in the Twin Cities, for example, and buy her a gift certificate so she can go in in person and make her own decision on which camera system suits her.

I'd for sure listen to the sales folks there when it comes to totaling up a guesstimate on what getting started in DSLR photography will cost, but would let them know that you're not interested in discussing which camera is "better" than another, because you're going to let your fiance make the choice herself based on her own desires.

That's just how I'd do it if I had a mate who wanted to get into DSLR photography, and that's what I advise when I have clients wanting to make the jump from compact digital to DSLR.

Congrats on being engaged, too. Best of luck to you both! smilesmile

Onafly -

Camera bodies come and go quickly, its the lenses that stick around. You're really buying into a system, whether you complete that system now or down the road. Steve is right, the big manufacturers all produce very capable cameras - it really comes down to finding the one that FEELS best in your hands because the features are very similar across brands.

Im not sure how invested you plan to become in photography down the road, but if you go with Nikon and plan to get into the higher end lenses, be prepared for the Nikon Tax. Although the Nikon consumer level lenses are priced comparably to the other brands, the higher end glass is typically more expensive - although this appears to be changing as Canon announces its newest lenses lately.

I can only speak for the Canon system, but if you go this route a good starter kit is the 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, and the 50 1.8. These lenses are very affordable (relatively speaking), optically very good when used within their limitations, cover a wide range, and the 50mm lens will allow you to dabble in larger apertures.

Id do as Steve suggests and go down to the store and hold each one you are considering in your hand. Once you've made up your mind, you can buy there or save a bit of $$$ and buy online. Beware of scam sites offering too-good-to-be-true deals and stick with the big guys like BH Photo or Adorama.

Good luck and congrats.