• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bombardier Outlander voltage regulator

basslkjohn

Hey Guys: finally joined the club today..bought a used Outlander XT 400 (2004) with just over 400 miles on it. In doing my pre-purchase research, there were a lot of comments regarding the need to replace the voltage regulator on many of the Bombardier machines. Sure enough, the unit had a dead battery, and, after several very hard pulls it did start...and the digital window on the odometer read: "fail".

The battery won't take a charge, so I assume the faulty VR burned out the battery. But I will buy a new battery in the morning just to see if the machine will start with a fully charged battery.

Do any of you have a Outlander 400? Any advice on where to order the new VR? Do all Outlander 400s require gorilla arms to pull the starter rope?

Thanks for your consideration.

OOOh the dreaded voltage regulator. Had mine go out on my 2005 400 max. You have to get the kit through a dealer. test it by putting a voltmeter across your battery terminals. The regulators can fail high or low. The output should be around 13-14 volts. If your voltage regulator is up front then you have to move it to the back. My 2005 has it in the back but I am not sure about yours. The repair involves a new regulator(200bucks) and a new wiring pigtail (99 bucks) and about 15 minutes of your time or so. Hopefully, these kits have solved the problem. Good Luck

Make sure your connections are tight on the battery, I've been struggling with that for the past year. Hopefully fixed now.

Mid '04 I believe is the year that they came out with the fix so if your lucky this may already be done.

Gorilla arms, yup. I've never been able to start mine cold no matter how many pulls.