• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

15 week old puppy training video

Todd Caswell

Not sure if this will fly on here or not but with all the questions about puppy's and traing them I thought I would put a short video from last week of a training session with a 15 week old lab pup Cooper. In the past I have always started formal OB around 6 monthes, last year Bill Hillman came out with a video "Training the Retriever Puppy" After watching it I really wanted a puppy to try it on, Bill's pholosophy is to teach patience, while still kepping a possitive attitude, and this is done by starting with a very young puppy around 12 weeks old. Iv'e watched Bills Derby dogs for a couple of years now and they all go hard but have very good line manners and it all stems from keeping a balance in training.

I also believe this program would work with any breed from 12 weeks to 6 monthes, giving them a great foundation to build on whem formal training really begins.

This session we worked on SIT, a sit stay, front sit to heal, Here, Hold, a couple of very light nicks ( a low 1 TT E-collar) to reinforce the sit command and to start his collar conditioning, mixed in with a bunch of fun, breaking bumpers to keep him happy. Alot of this might not make sence to him now at a little over 3 monthes old but by the time he is 6 monthes he will have a pretty good idea of what expected of him and still have a good training attitude.

I picked up Bill's video when I got my pup and followed it as well, we kept it fun and he learned a lot (as did I).

I wasn't able to keep up with training him as much as I would have liked over the summer, but now he's getting to 11 months old and everything we covered while he was 14-28wks is pure instinct for him. You are exactly right that it helps to have this foundation established!