• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bens Brittanys

fisher

Ive been emailing with Ben from Ben's Brittaney I know that a lot of people on this forum have got dogs from him. My wife and I are thinking we will do the same but being that ive only trained labs I just scared.. Now for the big thing its hunting time I cant find the grouse but would some one with a Brittaney like a hunting partner for a day I don't need to bring a gun learning about the dag is more then enough..

loving being back thank you all

Jeff Kropelnicki

be sure to check out the french britteny also I love mine. there are a few good breeders around the area but the more i look the more it seems like some of the best dogs are coming out of L'Escarbot Kennels.

I acually know for a fact that John has a few 4 month old starded puppies that are going to be awsome dogs they are already nuts about retreving.

http://www.lescarbotkennels.com/

here is a vid with my pup at 16 weeks working with John it was about two months faster than I though we would be shooting over her. that was a month ago and now she is a bird machine even finds wounded birds in standing corn and chasses them down!

Little off-topic since the guy is asking about Ben's Brittanys and not another breeder.

Nice point, but I would be a little concerned about her sitting. She appears to be more focused you than the bird at that point and "submitting" to you approaching the bird. In fact she "loses point" and looks off at the camera man.

Wild birds rarely hold that long. Unless she will hunt strictly released birds and preserves, I would suggest you stay back and let the dog hold point for awhile - steady her, but once you approach her and move to the bird think about getting the bird to flush a little faster.

Do you have someone else you can bring along to shoot so that you can steady her in a standing position.

yep thnanks for the sugestion....

she was about 4 months old here we were more concered about getting her birdy then if she had the perfect point.

she no longer sits and will hold point for a day.

and as far as wild birds not holding that long... well tell that to the one that flushed while I was peeing the other day right next to me.

oh it cool ive been talking to Ben and am going to see his dogs Sunday. but I just want to know more about the Brittany and other people to talk to. I would like to see some French Brittany also

bens brits seems to be very close breed wise to the french brit. they are smaller and compact (cobby) my guess is he keeps his blood line much closer to the way a brit should be rather then the larger Am brit you also see. they are great dogs if you can keep up with them!

good chance I will be taking my french britt out this week I usally head to a WMA south of waconia and just run her around in the feild if you could make it out one day this week I would be more then happy to let you see the dog. I ussaly get out there around 430pm and stay till about 6.

Link to where I have been running the dog

shoot me a emial [email protected] I will prob be out there tuesday and thursday afternoon.

All Brittanys are decendents from France.

In the 70s or 80s (??) some people imported some Brittanys from France. France did not disqualify Britts with black coloring or a black nose which can distinguish some French Britts from others.

The Brittany breed has not been de-hunted like some other sporting breeds by AKC show people. Labs, Goldens, Irish and Gordon Setters to name a few breeds have bloodlines with little hunting backgrounds. Buyer beware on these breeds.

I will admit some Brittany gun dog lines have probably been altered into big running dogs in order to satisfy the horse and hunt field trial crowd. I'll be honest that I do not like big running Brittanys - buy a pointer if you want big acres covered. Talk to your breeder to see how the parents hunt and what he wants from his dogs.

Similar to UK laborador retrievers, French Brittanys offer the buyer an option. In my sincere opinion it is as much Marketing as anything else.

In my honest opinion you sacrafice nothing but some extra dollars by going the French Britt option. As long as you buy your American Britt from a breeder interested in putting out quality bird dogs they will deliver everything listed in the French Brittany breeders list except the color black.

Ben does have slightly smaller than standard Britts. He also offen has roan colored and liver colored Britts, but they should not be confused as French. Much of Ben's dogs lineage is from Nolan's Last Bullet. NLB was simply an all around great American Brittany gun dog. Ben can answer better than I can, but he was an American Britt and a good one at that.

I have two Britts from Ben. Both are great family dogs. One is now five and hunts well. Pointed wild pheasants at 8 months. Now retrieves ducks and geese in the field and over water too. Have a 9 month old liver roan Britt. Great instincts ... gun dog in training.

brittman Im going to see Ben's and his dogs on Sunday Im taking the wife and 5 year old son down to talk about dogs I cant wait. Its nice to see that there are Brittany's its going to be fun training and talking with every one

thanks for all the help