• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Registration in the SE

PopRocks

Shot a doe just before sunset last night, got her cleaned up and out of the woods and in the truck just past 8pm. Here's where I was extremely irked and dissapointed by MN DNR registration system. I was aware of online registration this year, maybe I should have looked into it further for the zones I hunt in (341/342). Got online, entered my info, received the response that online registration is not allowed in 341. I assumed this was because of the antler point restriction which was confirmed by a call to the DNR info line this morning. Ok, fine. (by the way, for the rest of the state, this online registration is going to be great). So I started looking for a place to get the deer registered. The town of 5000 i was hunting near has 1, count em, 1 registration point. A hardware store which closes well before 8pm. Let's see, the next town closest, of 15000, has 3 points, all of which close before or at 8 pm. The DNR should have never eliminated so many points in the southeast if online service is not available. Unacceptable. The weather wasn't exactly cold last night I wanted to get the deer into a locker to protect the meat, we all know a locker is not going to take an unregistered animal. Ended up taking the deer to my home in the south east metro, finally got it registered, and packed it in some ice. For an early season bowhunting, without the aid of online registration, in the southeast, the DNR MUST make a registration point available later than 8 pm. Anyone else have any problems?

Yes, this is a problem in the southeast. Its why I don't shoot a doe before it starts to get below 40 degrees at night.

Unfortunately, the on-line registering is not what effecting the southeast registrations. The lack of registration stations has been a problem for a number of years, not just since the on-line registration started. I don't think you are going to find anyplace that will stay open late for deer registration, especially in a small town. I too think this is a flaw in the system, however, I choose when to shoot based on temperature and when I will be able to register the deer. I think most of the archers in the state, not just the southeast, have been doing this for years.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, even if it means not registering the deer in favor of instead getting the meat cooled and taken care of properly.

I've had problems with this turkey hunting in the past as well down near La Crescent, very annoying, but I'm not about to quit hunting because of it.

The reason I mention it at all is I've taken a doe early for years in the same location and have always been able to register it and get it taken care of in a matter of hours. No so this year since the registration station I usually use has been eliminated. It's not too much to ask for 1 station to be open in a 150 square mile area. Ensure one is in a gas station, it's that simple. They demand this info from us, and I don't have a problem with that at all, just don't make it so difficult when it simply doesn't have to be.

Welcome to HSO Apache_Hector. smile

I hear what your saying also. It can get tough to find a registration station. Thankfully the gas station/C-store in Rushford has been open for us but I usually bring a couple large coolers with during early season to ice em down if needed.

I've always thought it would be a win/win if the local bars could register game.

I've always thought it would be a win/win if the local bars could register game.

I know our closest registration station is a bar, seems to work well for everyone involved. I will say this area is "up north" and pretty remote so its basically the only option unless you want to drive 45+ miles to the nearest town.

We haven't been able to register deer at a bar in my little area for as long as I can remember. The closest thing we had to a 24 registry was when quick trip used to do it, and that was probably 20 years ago. I would think also that if a bar picked it up in Wabasha/Plainview area, it would be a win/win situation.