• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Post-litter question on mom dog

Ryan_V

I just bought a female GSP. 4 1/2 years old. She had a litter, the pups were sold and I was able to buy the mom. This was her first litter, she had 12 pups and 11 made it. She's a wonderful dog and I'm excited about pheasant opener again!! My question is this...

Since having the litter, how long does it take her "milkers"/nipples to shrink back to normal? Will they even do so?? My concern is they are still quite large and this might cause a bloddy problem in the dry grass come hunting season. Do I need to get some sort of chest protector for her, or should I just leave it?? I had a chest protector for my first GSP several years ago, but it made his armpits rub raw, so I ended up tossing it out. Thanks for any advice!!!

Yes, she's dried up. What would I need to do for post hunt care? I'm going to see what kinds of protectors are out there. Like I said, the first one I had ended up in the trash. Will they shrink to normal over time?? thanks gspman, I was hoping you'd chime in.

Ryan, I have used a couple different vests and the best one that I have used is the cheaper Remington blaze chest protector. It is easy on and easy off and doesn't restrict movement. The only thing I don't like is that it secures with velcro. I haven't really had a problem but when my GSP runs into thick cover, occassionally one of the straps will come undone. For around $12-$15, it is worth a try.

I second the Remington type vest. I picked one up at Cabelas several years ago it's similar to the Remington one with plenty of room by the arm pits I would use that when you are in tough stuff. I know its saved on a couple barbed wire incidents. The neopreme ones are a joke for upland hunting I feel.

Tracey