• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Winter - Dog House

MN_Pilot

Well I finally got the ok from the wife to keep the dog (60lb lab) out in her kennel during the daytime when we're at work this winter. I need to build a new dog house because the one I have is a little small. Insulated, but small. I want to build one with a partition in it where she can get away from draft from the door. I have a 5x15 kennel. I will probably build the new house 5' wide, but not sure how deep, or tall. I wanted some thoughts on my project before I start. I'm a little hesitant to put in a bulb for some heat. The Hound Heater looks great, but the price is a little steep and I think it might be overkill in a smaller house (even though it's thermostat controlled). Do you think I need any add'l heat? Any ideas?

My lab sleeps outside year round. We have a shed with an insulated dog house inside of it. I can get you the dimensions if you would like. I know its about 5 inches thick and fully insulated. One time is was -10 outside and I snuck down in the middle of the night with a thermometer and stuck it through the door. Internally the dog house was still 55 degree's. Now on the really cold nights we do let the dog sleep inside. Keep in mind where you face the door. You want to figure out what the wind does in winter and where you are putting the dog kennel. Door out of the wind!