• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can you make spinning rod out of a fly rod?

You can make a spinning rod out of a fly rod, cutting that much off the end is going to absolutely run any action on the rod. If you want a shorter rod buy a shorter blank. you can cut off a few inches. Rule of thumb if you cut off the tip you will have a slower stiffer blank, if you cut off the butt you will have a faster blank that is still limber.

Just use the rod as is. I wouldn't take more than two or three inches off the tip, and that's only if the action is slow-to-medium and you want a fast action rod.

I know multiple people who have used fly rods and mounted spinning reels on them to great success with casting and fishing. I have a feeling that your 9'-10' lighter fly rods would pair well with UL fishing techniques for panfish.

I have 2, 1 for me and 1 for the wife fly rod blanks wrapped as spinning rods that we use for shore fishing. They are 7 wts and handle up to 1/16 to 3/8 ounce of lead pretty well, and works very well with 4# test line. Not really and ultra light but more of a light action rod. Did I mention it is excellent for 8 to 9 ft leader lindy rigging wink

Fly blanks make all my favorite rods (at least UL to Med power). Especially for bait fishing. That said I doubt you'd like the rod much if you cut that much blank off. Generally speaking, try to find a blank that is already the specs you want. Cutting a little or extending is fine but avoid it when possible.