• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shorebird ID

JayinMN

The first is a semipalmated sandpiper, if it were a least, the legs would be yellowish or yellow green. That is a beautiful setting, I LOVE those wet pebbles.

Correct on both counts on the second: Ruddy Turnstone, Juvenile.

Great images Jason!

Thanks for the correction Shawn. Are these least sandpipers? They were darker in color then the semipalmated sandpiper, looks like they have a yellowish tint to the legs. There were two of them, the semipalmated, and the ruddy hanging out on the beach together.

4933758678_d9707ba7f8_b.jpg

4933765610_e1939d2d0f_b.jpg

Jim, until recently I have not touched my camera much, I noticed the last time was Jun 12th when I was uploading these pictures. There are so many other things to do during the summer. I know you head to Two Harbors a lot, these sandpipers where on the beach of the Flood Bay wayside rest.

Yes, those are certainly Least Sandpipers (#3,#4). This time of year, I also use how russet colored the leasts are to differentiate them from other peeps, besides the yellow legs. I've always envisioned flood by being a good place to get some evening shorebird images. I do love those pebbles.

Look at that 3 new lifers and I didn't even know it. I thought the two leasts were adults and the semipalmated was a juvenile least. These guys were fun to shoot, but it would be easier with two people so one could herd them in your direction.

Jason, I think all of these images feature juvenile birds. The juvies feathers always look fresh and unworn this time of year, besides coloration differences from the adults.

If you are interested in having more "fun" with shorebirds, you should come to Duluth soon and we could go out together.

Small payback for all the bog hosting you do smile

[email protected]

if interested.

Okay a few more from Flood Bay today. The beach was packed with people, which had these guys pretty jumpy.

I believe the first is a Buff Breasted Sandpiper? And Lesser yellow legs?

Shawn, I shot you an email.

4939797365_8917c3d3fa_z.jpg

4940382172_d468494c26_z.jpg

Nice work on the id's and great shot of the buff breasted! That is a premo shorebird in my opinion. They are a special perk for the central part of the country as typically their flight path does not reach either coast. I also find them to be one of the most intricatly patterned shorebirds, just a gorgeous sandpiper, and your shot is excellent, love the wave action in the background.