• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rookie Rod Builder

Nick,

Are you sure you want this nasty habit?

The next thing you know there is 87 rods sitting in your house and 4 ideas for new ones in your head.

We will talk wink

Thats fine by me smile Id like to make some for friends and family.

I was actually given a custom made rod. I have been using it as my walleye rod. After reading & seeing videos and such I can already pick out all the wrong things on the rod. I got bored at work yesterday and started wrapping a pen with some fishing line I had. haha. I think I got the basics down.

Thanks for everyone who threw in some insight. I stopped in midwest rod and reel in prior lake and they got me everything I needed. Got started on my project and just need to get started on wrapping my eyes and than I should be good to go!

Got the handle all done and wrapped the hook holder! I made a wrapper out of a tackle box and two chairs until I was able to pick up my new wrapper which I got yesterday!

Progress so far. Not gonna do anything fancy on this one.

40360_648281932642_199101806_36467262_11

45757_648281603302_199101806_36467237_75

I was given the spacing by the company I bought the rod from. Man its tricky getting those small guides to stay in place. I think my masking tape sucks. Anyway I tackled them to the spacing distance I was given. I noticed my Tip Top is a little off. Its glued with the 5 min epoxy. Does anyone know if you can heat the 5 min epoxy up and move it or did I make a big mistake?

Pics soon. Just gotta add some trim bands and another coat or two of Color Preserver and Im set for epoxy

The 5 minute epoxy can be used for attaching grips although a product called rod bond is better suited for that job as well.

The glue you want to use for the tip top is a type of hot glue. It's the amber colored glue...same stuff they use to glue nocks to the end of an arrow. You can trying carefully applying heat to the tip top to release the 5 minute epoxy but you may damage the tip of the rod.

Worst case scenario is you carefully clip off that tip top, get a new one and chaulk it up to experience.

I know Midwest carries the amber colored hot glue.

Good Luck

Got my first rod finally done! Its nothing special but for my first self taught build I think it turned out great! I might add some different wraps and maybe some stickers and paint down the road!

I got everything from Midwest Rod and Reel out of prior lake and their customer service is/was AMAZING! I went in there to just get all my materials and ask a couple questions and next thing you know I walked out of there with great products and a few lessons on how to do things! They even met me at their shop on a Sunday when they are normally closed!

So a big thanks to Midwest Rod and Reel! I will be back for some business shortly smile Just need to decide on what my next project is!