• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

maple tree split

SFC

noticed yesterday that my maple tree had split at a y, Cut off the one side. Tree has a crack on 1 side about 6 inches down the middle of the trunk, the other about 3 inches. I left about 6 inches of the cutoff branch and now have the tree tied together.Any advice would be appreciated. At the split the tree is about 8 to 10 inces around

Is it a fresh split or has the wound started to heal? If its fresh there are many things you can do. The best method would be to put a rod through it. Anything that wraps around the outside of the trunk will girdle the tree and eventually kill it if it doesn't grow around it.

Fresh split , what size rod to use, can I use a carraige bolt and washers, should I drill through the middle or off to the side? Seen a little bit about this on the other thread. Was contemplating cutting that y off since the day I brought er home. Thanks!

To get it straight right now one side of the Y is now gone except for that 6 inch stub and there is no weight pulling on the split? Is the split vertical and wide open in the middle?

A 6" split really isnt that big of a split and being the other side is less the tree may just be ok healing on its own if the gap small enough. If the gap is to wide you run the risk of moisture and insects getting in and raising havoc before it could heal.

If you can get a half inch carriage bolt and nuts and washers should work long enough to reach both sides through the center of the tree with enough room for nuts and washer before tightening the nuts, longer the better, 1/2 inch threaded rod will work also. Drill 3 inch down from top of split in centre of tree and and I would say around 3 inches from the 6 inch part of the split and drill level and straight through to the center of the other side. The idea is to draw in widest part of the split first when snugging the nuts up on the threaded rod so you may have to position it differently for optimum draw on the split.

Snug the nuts up until the split closes. No need to treat the split with any thing. You can leave the 6 inch stub on and trim it off later at a 45 degree angle.

I hope this was clear enough, not the greatest at writing directions

If by soft maple you mean silver maple....also, I've never heard anyone complain about trimming a silver. They are very easy to trim. Just my personal opinion and I've trimmed hundreds. I've got two in my yard including two more black walnuts. The black walnuts are worse IMO. Easier to trim, but overall a messier tree and they make it harder for other things to grow underneith them.