• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I am moving to Helena next week and just wondering if anyone has any advice for fishing! I am really excited because I have heard good things about the trout fishing in the area. Also, I have some big C points burning up my pocket and was wondering what I should spend them on for the area

Congrats- I grew up in Helena and still have family all over the state. As far as fishing, it just depends on the kind of fishing you want to do.

1 streams and creeks surround the town and can be fished effectively on foot with worms or flies depending on how how you want. If you haven't fly fished before I suggest you start by drifting worms as this will teach you how to drift a fly. Towards Townsend/Toston are Dry Creek, Deep Creek and Sixteen on one side of the Missouri, and Crow Creek on the other. Towards Great Falls is wolf creek. Towards Boulder there is prickly pear and others. Towards Missoula there is the Little Blacfoot, Spotted Dog and Dog creek amongst many. You will catch Brookies from 4 to 10 inches with occassional rainbows up to 12.

2. Rivers- the Missouri river is the dominant river and can be fished from shore or drifted depending on how and where. Contains Rainbows, Browns and other larger trout species.

3. Lakes- the Missouri is dammed in several places resulting in Canyon Ferry Lake(trout, perch and walleye), Hauser, and Holter all being good fishing. Mountain Lakes such as Park Lake are accessible by vehicle. Back Country lakes such as Edith, Hidden and others by Townsend are reachable on horseback or foot for cutthroats.

Hope this helps- you should really enjoy all the opportunities. BTW- Shellies Cafe on Prospect has great home cooked food.

I grew up in Great Falls and did a lot of fishing on the river up by Craig. You can fish Holter for trout and the walleye fishing is not to bad from what I have been told / read. Use to also fish below Holter dam. If you go down by Craig there are two places that I use to fish all the time, 5 islands and the Cut. Throw a Panther Martin spinner and have some fun. Gold spinner with a blck bidy with yellow dots use to work the best, but that was 25 years ago. Use to also be good fly fishing in those two areas too. If there was any way that I could get back to that state I would be there in a heart beat! Good luck to you and enjoy it up there, it is called God's County for a reason!