• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lawn weeds... Pics. Help!

echo2010

Ok, I hired out 2 sprays this year. One for weeds and a crab grass preventative... and the second a post emergent crab grass and other weed killer... They "forgot" me on the first spray and came late.. However, my neighbors have the same problems as i do and they are on their 4th spray...

I took some pics. Im pretty certain there is some crab grass in there along with dandelions etc... One is a viney like ground cover...

Im irritated and not sure how to approach this next year. Im wondering with the right stuff, can I do a better job?

The middle pic looks like CG to me.

My yards look like [PoorWordUsage] right now too, it's been too hot for me to feel comfortable spraying, so I've been holding off.

As hotrod mentioned in another thread, I'll be using Momentum Q starting next week. It's a broadleaf control as well as a post emergent crabgrass control.

Do you have any idea on what they've been using?

I had figured that was crabgrass... it is in huge patches...

Worst of it is... it has only been 4 weeks since spraying.. I will do something... but we have had constant rain it seems

I am so tired of paying $57 a spray... and having results like this.

Last year they started spraying on time and I still had this stuff 2 weeks after.

I will look at what they are using.. but even the worst stuff should be able to control dandelions and clover (however, I am not complaining about the clover..i kinda like it)

You're trusting that they know what they're doing.

In MN, you can look at the Department of Agriculture's HSOforum and look up pesticide licenses, to check and see if both the company AND the applicator are licensed to apply pesticides (herbicides) for hire.

You might want to check if you can do the same in IA.

Also, just because someone can purchase herbicides, that doesn't mean they can / do read the label.

The product I use calls for .5 - 1.5 oz of chemical per 1000 sq ft. Obviously you can be within range per label if you're using .5 oz / chemical, meaning cutting costs, but you're also going to cut results.

I usually run about 1 oz / 1000, so if I get a bit of overlap I'm not above label rates.

I get pretty good success, well enough where over a year a yard will be weed free, and then maintain from there out.

I use a ride on sprayer that's limited as to how fast it goes, so I know how much spray I'm laying down at all times.

If your company is using a tank sprayer (meaning pulling a long hose around the yard) as they speed up walking or slow down, the rates are going to change as well.

Another thing to remember, is herbicides will only control the weeds that are already popped up, not the seeds in the ground. The seeds will still germinate.

Lastly, how many sq ft is the company spraying for $57? I charge about $4 / 1000 sq ft, so if I do the math, you'd only have about 14k sq ft spraying? About 1/3 acre?

Is it to hot to spray weed b gone? I've been seeing thistles starting to pop up again.

Folke

Wait until Sunday or later, temps are going to moderate back into the 70's. It's going to rain too much between now and then to worry about it anyways.

I think I have a 1/4 acre lot. If I go find my bill I can tell you what they spray and percentages.

The first couple years we lived here we did all our own fertilizing and weed control until we got crab crass.. and then instead of putting a preventer down and guessing for times, I figured I would just hire out the crab grass part which includes fertilizer and weed/crab grass pre and post emergent and then take care of the rest with my trusty Trimec.

He has a truck with a long hose.. I dont feel here is getting good coverage due to the patches appearing in a pattern.

My mother also uses this place and has rows? of crab grass and creeping charlie.

When she signed up last spring, she told them she wasnt going to fight the creeping charlie and they said they could take care of all of it for her.. She gets 5 sprays and a core aeration... she too, is quite unsatisfied..

I only know of one other local place and they use granuales... I fear for my dog since those seem to take a while to dissolve.

I am going to email the pics I have posted here to the lawn people... maybe see if I can either forget paying my last spray bill... Or maybe they can throw a free spray in or something..

I realize it has been about 4 weeks now since the spray... but there should be no reason for Crab Grass!

Ill update ya when i get a reply

One more thing.

Look on the bill at the last application.

Did it rain that day or early the next?

It could be that it rained too soon as well.

Most people will run a spreader-sticker which will make the chemical rain fast quicker, but not all.

I'm just trying to cover all of your bases so you don't start an argument that's got a fairly easy solution.

I guess I could look that up...

Last year he applied it during a sprinkle and it later poured.. I called and was worried since DIY ones always say try to apply it without forecasted rain in 24hrs..

The gal answered the phone said 'Rain is good!, it will help it soak in!" I kinda thought "Huh?"

I don't know.. I know there are very good and honest companies out there... and mabye I will hear back from them with a good solution to this..

Now where is that Bill at?.....

Crabgrass preventer, grub control and straight fertilizer need to be watered.

Weed control, if liquid, SHOULD be rain / water free for 24 hours, with no mowing 2 days before, or 2 days after for best control.

The poured / soak in comment is probably right, although "poured" is a fine line.

IF there's too much rain and puddles form, some of the particles could float away from the target spots.