• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Inexpensive wheeler

Rippinlip

Just some advice please,

My daughter and her boyfriend are looking for a wheeler for her to ride, he already has a 700 Grizzly and they have been riding together. They can't afford much right now, due to school tuition for her and he is trying to save for a house.

I would like to know what you think about the following types of wheelers for her, she only has ridden the Grizzly.

Are the free air cooled models going to be ok for long distance trail riding?

How hard are some of the Manual shifting machines to get use to?

Are the 2 X 4 machines too squirrely to get use to?

Some models he has been looking at are like the Warriors, Blasters and Trail Bosses.

She is about 5'3" and about 125lbs.

Depends how much experience she has with a manual transmission of any sort. Let alone any ATV experience.

2x4 machines will be perfectly fine and a little lighter for her to handle with ease and not get worn out by trying to wrestle a heavier ute.

Air cooled machines are ok as long as they're not planning any rides on days like today that will be a slow pace. They are after all, air cooled machines and no air moving through the fins allows excess heat.

For her size, I would recommend something in the 250-400cc and an ergonomically midsize machine. Anything such as a Suzuki Ozark, Honda Recon or a 400 Kodiak/450 grizz would fit the bill nicely.

On a final note and I'm only assuming here, but being a college student, she very possibly has a birth date after the July of '87 cutoff and would be required to possess a MNDNR ATV Safety Certificate. She's at an age now where if this is the case, she only needs to take the adult course on the home study cd-rom and mail it in. She'll also be able to print out a temporary certificate from the cd-rom after she completes it.

Hope this helps some.

I have an early 90's Yamaha moto 4 350. My teenage son rides it all over the place with no problems shifting or steering it. If you don't mind having an older atv you can pick one up for less than $1000. They are very easy to work on and have more than enough power, IMO.

Wife has a 250 ozark...thing in pretty zippy for a 250...pretty fun ride..we bought it new for like 2200.00 cant complain there...its not gonna have the smoothest ride...but for the money tough to beat..starts good year round..goes through alot..keep your weight on the back and give it heck...I think its a fun ride..nice little machine

Thanks everyone, I bought a 2001 Blaster, and I felt a pretty good deal.

That little machine boogies. Let the riding begin! So looking forward to the ride this weekend.

LEP, thanks for the heads up, I did forget, but I have the CD here at home and she will be doing it before we go riding.

Mark