• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Glass ?

My wish list has a 5D mkII on it down the road which is a full frame sensor. I currently have a Xsi with is a crop sensor. A friend of mine said that you have to get different glass for the full frame cameras to get the full effect. Is this true? Do they have different lenses for full and crop sensor cameras? I thought they were all interchangeable. He shoots with Nikon so not sure if they are different than Canon?

I could stop in at the camera shop and ask, but my curiosity is getting the best of me now. It wont affect me any because I only have a 70-300 IS for my current camera and I will be keeping my current camera even when I can afford to purchase.

My main concern is if the lenses are different and I get an EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM AF and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II for the D5 that they might not work with the Xsi if needed.

Thanks for any insight.

You only need to replace your lenses if they are specfically designed for crop sensor cameras. If as HT said they show EF-S, then they need to be replaced. If they don't, you should be good to go. If you buy the 24-70 and 70-200, they will work fine on your XSi. EF-S lenses don't work on full frame cameras (they will bolt on and function (but it looks like a round circle of proper exposure surrounded by black when you look through the frame), but non EF-S lenses work on all Canon digital cameras.

Which lenses do you have?