• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

overheating?

broken_line

i know the water pump would be the first guess on whats wrong with a mercury clasic 50 45 hp motor.. but when i launched it on the river, it was peeing and running just fine, but when i hit a sand bar it seemed to be steaming alot after that.. and then about 4 min latter steam was shooting out of the pee hole with a great deal of force then the BEEEEEP telling me it was hot.. could it be a stuck thermostat or something got plugged?? it pees really weak at idle..we probably limped it 2 miles going 2200 rpms as long as it was peeing and not shooting steam..

That's what I would guess also. I hit a sand bar years ago on opener and I was getting sand out for a while. I didn't know enough to change the impeller back then but that's what I would do now.

There is no thermostat on that engine. Did you take the impeller out of that housing and if you did, were the blades straight and still flexible? If you remove an impeller and it is curved like it is in your pic, then it needs to be replaced. I would have replaced it after having it apart anyway. When you had it apart, did you use compressed air and blow back through the water tube?

Are you able to get your hands anywhere near the block to see how hot its getting?

the impeller fins bent straight out when i removed it, and the culpret of this whole thing, was 2 small pieces of the previous impeller were stuck in the brass tube, and sucking the sand in finished the deal, removed the piece, and it pumped 5 times as far as it did before. it was definatly plugged up. thanks for the help! geting up to 250 according to the temp gauge i temporarily put in.. this winter i will probably go top to bottom on new seals and pump.. now im just waiting for the silicone to dry and ready to see if its all cleaned out!