• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Former Gopher coaches now with Nebraska-Omaha

cbrooks

UNO will have two former gopher coaches on there staff next. Mike Guentzel and Mike Hastings. I know nothing about this team besides there coaches maybe the best in college IMO. UNO has really step up to the plate since joining the WCHA. I wouldn't be surprise to see them being contenders in a few years. I still think Blais will be a Gopher before he retires for good.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brooks, you are a little off here...... There will be 3 Gophers on the coaching staff. Blais was a Goppher assistant at one point.

Maybe after this season Guentzel takes over as head coach and Blais comes home to the Gophers.

I forgot that Blais was a former Gopher coach thanks for setting me straight Scott.

I heard that Leddy was leaving as well. Whats up with Lucia keeping Seth Ambroz in Jrs. He didn't sound to happy not being able to play for the gophs this season. I know Seth is 17 but he has the size and he's one of the top players in the world in his age group.

Yikes the Gophers are a mess right now. These are just the rumors I am hearing, no sources or anything like that. Birkholtz is heading to Jr's in Canada, kicked off for breaking team rules. Ambroz might be staying in Jr's so his draft stock stays high, this kind of makes sense, scoring 50-60 points in the USHL might look better then scoring 15-25 in the WCHA. However there are a bunch of other rumors too so who really knows. Gardiner is now coming in to replace Ambroz or Birkholtz so we have downgraded yet again. Leddy sounds like he is going to sign and we might have to bring in another young D.

You can just about see Lucia out the door, Blais moving over and Guentzel finally landing that head coaching job that he very much deserves. Heck I would even take Guentzel as our coach right now if Blais doesn't want to come over. Right now I just can't see anything but the Gophers imploding this year, I hope I am wrong but then again maybe not if we get a new coach next year.

I forgot that Blais was a former Gopher coach thanks for setting me straight Scott.

I heard that Leddy was leaving as well. Whats up with Lucia keeping Seth Ambroz in Jrs. He didn't sound to happy not being able to play for the gophs this season. I know Seth is 17 but he has the size and he's one of the top players in the world in his age group.

I've heard it has some to do with the fact he hadn't completed all the necessary classwork to graduate H.S. and enroll in college early and also some to do with him making the decision to stay in Jrs. on his own. I'd imagine the truth falls somewhere in the middle of all of the rumors.

My question is why do we still have John Hill as an Ast. Coach? I am not a fan of him. He couldn’t do anything with Anchorage so why could he help a bigger school? It may just be me but as soon as we got him the team went downhill. And every time you listen to an interview of him in between periods it’s the same thing. I am not a fan of Lucia hiring him. Just because he’s a good "Friend” Hire the person that suits the job. Time for something new.

We have Hill because he follows Lucia everywhere. CC, Ankorage and the U. Lucia is terrible.

I had always thought that Ambroz would be playing this year. I dont know what the heck is going to happen. If all these rumors come true, the Gophs might have their worst season I have ever seen ahead of them.

I dont want to loose Birholtz, I was actually impressed with him out there.

What did Birkholz do to get kick off the team? Maybe Ambroz still has a chance to suit up this upcoming year.

Again just a rumor but I heard he was hanging out with Cheech and Chong. I think Ambroz is all set to stay in Jr's so that is why they are bringing in Gardiner who is clearly not on the same level as Ambroz.

I am really hoping things aren't as bad as they seem but from the outside looking in it doesn't look too good.

Agree not looking good for Gophers or their fans. You have to go after recruiting the best players, but they have had a real tough go of mediocre performance followed by early exits.

Not much Don can do, except break the cycle and get these guys to play above their potential.

No it doesn't, ya Vanek was about as clutch as a guy could get. Just for fun I looked back at the box scores.

5 goals and 3 assists in 4 NCAA Tournament games included the OT winner and NC game winner in the Frozen Four.

By not on the same level I mean Ambroz has two years of Jr's under his belt and could be a top 10 pick in next years draft and is just about a lock to go in the first round. Gardiner while being a fine recruit has played mostly high school hockey and got picked up in the 3rd round this year and has much less experience against higher competition. Not to mention Ambroz is just the kind of big strong beast of a player we need (6'3" 200lbs and not affraid to fight) and Gardiner while good sized has some filling out to do and does not appear to have the edge that Ambroz has.

I don't really know why Ambroz is staying in Jr's for sure, you've probably read the same stuff I have, 3-4 different rumors out there so its really just a guess. I haven't paid much attention to it lately so maybe there is more info out there but it always seems like we only hear half the story anyway, that includes anything in the papers.

I was still holding onto a shred of hope that the gophers would at least turn things around a little bit this year but with this never ending string of bad news I just can't see us doing anything. I'm very close to hoping we fall hard and get a new coach but I don't know if I want to turn to the dark side just yet.

But then you would have to pay $150(?), to go back to ND to pheasant hunt. That still chaps my hide what they charge for out of state hunters in ND and only give us 2 weekends. I think I am going to charge you guys a $200 out of state muskie stamp.

Hows that bite any way. My favorite area has been good, or at least real good windows surrounded by real tough fishing. I am hopefully hitting your area in September. I used to live there for 5 years. Man that was great having that water in my back yard.

Sorry for the highjack,

So are we going to find out what Birkholtz did? I bet whatever he did, if he was a Sioux player they would just give him more playing time.