• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mad River Advneture 14 canoe

We just picked up a new adventure 14, and so far it's been great. First trip out on the 4th was to a local lake with my wife and 11 year old. A little cozy, but not too bad. The wife and I also took it out on the Mississippi last weekend. Easy paddling upstream.

We really like the adjustable/padded back rests on the seats. They are very comfortable. We plan on fishing out of it. Not too sure how easy it will be to tie anchor or net a big one, but we hope to find out!

As an update, the canoe has been great so far. My wife and I have been out each weekend since we got it.

We did run into a snag yesterday. The canoe mounts on the roof of my truck with those foam pads and a couple nylon straps. One of those straps goes around the canoe and through the cab. Sometimes that strap catches the wind just right and makes an awful humming sound. Usually it's just annoying. Yesterday it went past that.

In the 6 miles from the county park to my house, the vibration was enough friction on the bottom of the canoe to melt the canoe bottom and the strap into it! Not too bad, but something to watch out for.

A couple of tricks to cut down on that humming, you can twist the strap a couple of times on both sides of the vehicle before you tighten it or I have taken a thin piece of rope and wrapped it around the strap after tightening, your goal is to mess up the straps flat aerodynamics to get rid of the humming.

I've never heard of straps causing meltage before, that's interesting.

Thanks for chiming in, glad to hear you like the new rig, sounds like you are putting it to good use.