• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Training to be good on boatto bbebe aabablableable ttoto ttataktaketak

Griggs

I have a 1 year old chocolate lab who loves to swim and fetch. The problem is when I take her fishing, she jumps off the side of the boat to go "retrieve" my lure I just cast. It was funny the first few times but I really want to be able to take her on the boat.

I figure you duck hunters would have some experience with this.

THX

I'm right there with you!!

My 1 year old Yellow has done the same thing.

I took him out on the boat a number of times last year, so he was 3-4 months old, and he really did OK. I spent most of my time monitoring him however but it was good.

This year when I've had him out he jumps out of the boat right away, which is why I keep him on a leash so I can pull him back in. Rest of the day is me practicing basic obedience in the boat while my boat partner fishes.

Probably hasn't helped that we've predominantly muskie fished with topwater but ???? Probably worst case fishing scenario for a retriever. Anyway, we're going to try some walleye trolling here soon and see how that goes, should be able to keep an eye on him a little better.

For those on FM who know me... I haven't fished much at all in the last year because of this dog. I've really tried to focus on him and training. I'm really starting to struggle now with the lack of fishing so I'm going to let him figure this out. I can't leave him home, I live alone so no one can watch him. I feel bad enough about leaving him home when I work, can't leave him home when I go have fun.

I'm convinced its just going back to the basics... basic obedience of sit & stay and just working on it in the boat.

Really looking forward to some suggestions and opinions from those who have "been there". smile

Repitition.

Eventually he'll figure it out that he is not to overboard when your fishing and is just along for the ride.

Just like sitting in the duck boat or blind, he needs to be taught to be steady till you send him out.

Use sit stay and back that up with a lead. Since he has already jumped out of the boat your braking a habit now. Shorten the lead so he can't jump in the water. Have your buddy make the casts while you enforce the stay command. It might help to make him lay down to remove some of the stimulus of sight for a while. When he gets excited quickly give the command stay. While the lure is being swung to ready for a cast he'll be watching it No command there will help, I use "leave it" as my universal command when I don't want the dog to pick something up. If not for that command he'd be running around with logs constantly. While it looks cute, I don't like it. Birds or dummies nothing else.

Keep repeating and take his attention away from the lure being cast. Not only do you want him to stay in the boat but to behave there as well. After all his company won't be enjoyable if hes running from bow to stern and whining. smile

Good suggestions above. Have you steadied your dog yet? That will be critical in the duck blind. Having him steadied results in a controlled response or command when to leave your side. If your dog is an enthusiastic retriever (sounds like he is) and at a year of age, you could certainly start the work on steadying him to retrieve.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm not familiar with "steady" so I will have to look at the one up.

mods - sorry about the subject name and the double post. I guess this is what I get for using my phone!

I trained my lab, Grace, using a rubber bottom rug. I used the rug as a tool to teach her that “stay means stay.” If she moved even the slightest bit off the rug, she was immediately corrected. The rug prevented her from doing any unnoticed creeping or breaking. We started in the house, transitioned to the yard with many distractions (dummies, toys, other dogs, and yes even casting). When she was good in the yard we transitioned to the boat and finally the canoe with birds and guns. She learned that she had to stay on the rug no matter what went on around her and that she could only go when released. She would stay on the rug for literally hours without breaking. I think this training really helped in the boat. Now she is completely free in the boat and watches but doesn’t act like she is going to go for it. We still use the rug in the canoe, but it is more for comfort than anything else.

She has also been collar conditioned and I find that it works for reminding her that she is not to move when told to stay for retrieving. When conditioning her to the collar, I was very consistent to use the beep sound as a “hey pay attention” before ever doing a nick, and all she needs is a reminder beep when she is really excited and starts to get “ideas of her own.” I had the e-collar on her the first time in the boat without the rug. She got an initial beep when she acted like she wanted to retrieve the cast, she looked at me, I told her firmly “No, leave it” and it hasn’t been a problem since.

I would have to agree with what has already been said, basic obedience with sit and stay, steadying, repetition, and consistency. Just incorporate the “distractions” that seem to be problematic while at home or in the yard, so when in the boat the dogs know what is expected of them. So you can be free to do your fishing.

Hope this helps!