• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boat trailer tires

anyone have any advise pro or con on a source/brand of tires for a boat trailer? the tires i currently have on are starting to show signs of wear, as is the case after a few years, i believe i got these from fleet farm and last so-so as far as mileage, im just wondering if theres any tire out there that will last longer than a few to several years.

thanks,

mike

I had concerns over the tires that I had on my trailer so when I went to the tire shop I told him about how heavy my boat was and how they would come apart even though the tire did not have a lot of wear. He recommended a radial trailer tire. So far so good but the true test will be a the end of next year after a second season to see if they last.If you have a decent tire shop that you trust ask them what they can do for you. They might cost a little more but the peace on mind has to be worth something knowing you boat will make it home safe without any down time by the side of the road.

TR21, thanks for the tip, i had to order 2 tires from the goodyear shop in savage,they'll be in tomorrow by 11:00 and on my trailer by 5:00, a little spendy but like jimmalm said worth the piece of mind.

my boat is older and i dont remember being able to get radial trailer tires in the past, are they relatively new? or maybe i didnt look hard enough.any way thanks for the replys,just another reason why i love this site, the info thats available,from people who've been there done that!

later,

mike

Heck, in the past I needed tires due to the sides weathering, and was cheap, so I just put on regular car tires. They NEVER wore out and I never had an issue with them. The sides would weather and crack before the tread ever became a problem, but it took 7-9 years. The last time I did it, I am pretty sure I paid $35/tire.

Mike I am not sure just how new the radial trailer tire is but then again I have not needed tires for about 10 years and the ones I had got a monster bulge in one side right after I stored the boat for the winter. When I called and told him that the boat was pretty heavy for the size tire I was running he made the recommendation of radials.