• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gill Lice Found In Popular Driftless Stream

Driftless

gilllice.jpg

I emailed the photos and asked the Fish Manager about the infestation.

Len,

It is unlikely gill lice will destroy all of the brookies in **** Creek although I have seen infestations that were heavy enough (**** Creek, Monroe Co.) to interfere with the fish's respiration leaving them vulnerable if dissolved oxygen levels are reduced. The infestations seem to worsen when fish are stressed (low water levels or high water temps) but may totally disappear when conditions are good. We are aware of the problem and will continue to monitor but there is little that can be done (the only good way to remove gill lice from fish is with a formalin dip).

Dave

David Vetrano

Fisheries Supervisor

3550 Mormon Coulee Rd.

La Crosse WI, 54601

608-785-9009

[email protected]

I have another email out to him about cleaning your gear after contacting brookies infected and any special handling instructions. I will post when get response.

Len,

Anglers should get in the habit of disinfecting their waders, shoes and landing nets that touched stream water or fish before they move from one stream to another to prevent transfer of a variety of diseases and parasites. We use a 1% bleach solution to rinse off our waders and electrofishing gear before we move from stream to stream when we are doing fish surveys (a small spray bottle works well for waders). If you're not going to fish for awhile, letting your gear dry completely can also be effective (most aquatic parasites cannot tolerate dessication).

Dave