• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

15 hp johnson

hamms-scooter

I have this 15hp its about a '83.I recently replaced the gas line going from the tank to the motor and fittings. It is not keeping pressure in the primer ball and it kind of winds out when you go to accelerate quick. It acts like the power goes through the engine and has a quick spert out the prop and it quits but keeps idleing.????? The fittings are tight and vent is open on tank. Any ideas? I looked at the old line and it was 1/4" I replaced it with a 3/8" was all they had.is this causing the problem? It also will spit big bubbles out the bottom into water?

How did the motor run prior to replacing the lines and fittings? If it ran fine then I'd go out and switch it back to 1/4".

Tunrevir~

You went to a larger hose, no that will not affect anything in this case. Make sure the arrow on the primer bulb is pointing to the engine. It sounds as if it may be on backwards.

Does the gas line connect to the tank with a barbed fitting and a hose clamp or is it the Johnson/Evinrude style quick connect? If it is a barbed fitting and it was for 1/4" id hose then you would have a tough time getting 3/8" id hose to seal very well, which would cause it to suck air into the fuel line instead of fuel.

Pretty much a shot in the dark but you never know!

Well went out on the lake tonight with the old 1/4 " ID hose and it didn't act up... we will see after a few more trips out if it acts up again but i'm thinking the 3/8" hose was to big. I'll be posting again if it repeats the problem but as of now I have learned don't fix it if it isn't broken!!!

You may have had a problem with one of the new connecters not making an air tight connection, OR a faulty primer bulb. Did you replace it with a Johnson fuel hose or a Sierra or other aftermarket hose? I no longer will use aftermarket hoses due to that. I can assure you the larger hose size will have no affect. I could see if you had a V-6 and dropped down to 1/4.

Ok good to know.It was an aftermarket from walmart.Sea sense or something like that... I'm going to clean it up and return it and tell them it is bad and try another one. I hope my motor doesn't do it with the old hose so I know then it was the new one. So you have had a bad primer from brand new before?

It was an aftermarket from walmart.Sea sense or something like that...

I cant tell you how many times i have heard that the cheaper aftermarket fuel lines, connectors and bulbs have been marginal right out of the box. they sure get enough cash for the real thing at the dealer though!