• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mosquito Fogging

deerminator

Permethrin - That is what the services use. I bought a gas backpack style sprayer and do it myslef now, as in the long run it is cheaper than having a service do it. I mix in the Permethrin as directed and it does a great job - available at feed mills, lawn and garden supply places, etc.

Permethrin - That is what the services use. I bought a gas backpack style sprayer and do it myslef now, as in the long run it is cheaper than having a service do it. I mix in the Permethrin as directed and it does a great job - available at feed mills, lawn and garden supply places, etc.

Echo makes an attachment for any blower.

It clips onto the end of the blower, backpack or handheld with a hose to a tank you wear over your shoulder.

You can then spray your own yard.

From echo-usa dot com :

"Provides Up To A 3 Week Protective Barrier

The ECHO Mosquito YardShield™ system is a new and easy way of controlling mosquitoes and other biting insects in your yard.

The system's nozzle/tube assembly easily attaches onto an ECHO PB-200, PB-201, or the PB-251 Handheld Blower. Simply mix the Mosquito YardShield Concentrate with water into the backpack tank, and operate the blower normally.

The specially designed nozzle and power of the blower combine to propel a mosquito-controlling, ultra-fine mist that dries quickly. Then enjoy sitting out on your deck or patio after one simple application and for days afterward with worry-free protection."

I've used to for deer flies and it works okay. It doesn't deter 100% of them, but it makes the yard bearable for a couple of weeks.

BUT, if you don't feel comfortable with using chemicals yourself, please remember to contacto Mosquito Squad, a sponsor of this HSOforum

I can actually offer something for once wink and sorry for long post...

I did research on permethrin and resmethrin on mosquitos as a research biologist/assistant. (Granted this was awhile ago, and with formulations used by a mosquito comtrol agency, so not exact, but I bet pretty close). The permethrin "barrier" does work to help kill skeeters and keep them at bay a bit. But it won't (or didn't) work with significant difference for 3 weeks. Mixed with vegetable oil material (need that to have it stick to foliage) it clung to vegetation great for 3-5 days, and kept the number of biting skeeters down. Rain cut it down, of course. 5 days was about best you could expect to notice a difference.

(We actually used ourselves as bait, and collected tens of thousands of mosquitos, and IDed each one to species and sex (of course ost were females, as males don't bite. Did a whole summer to sampling parks that were both sprayed and controls. I learned to sew pretty well too, as you can't just go and buy whole person skeeter traps, haha! Joanne fabrics ladies never laughed so hard at grizzly guys buying wedding viel material by the rolls! ha!)

You use permethrin on the vegetation around your yard, for example, and the skeeters come up to it and die if they touch it (legs on leaves type contact) or they sense it and fly elsewhere.

Resmethrin is more of an immediate kill type spray. This is the "fogging" type spray. It is a "one shot wonder" type appication smile So you want to do it when and where mosquitos are concentrated, using the breeze to your advantage, letting it drift into wooded areas (i.e. lots of shrubbery or dense woods, or even tall grasses). It kills them on contact, but is virtually gone within hours.

I am sure there are others more informed than me, but using a one two punch, like for example permthrin a day or so before a party and then resmethrin about a couple hours after sunup, with the breeze drifting it into nearby veg the morning of said party should work pretty good.

Due to the cost of material and equipment, I would hire it done if needed for special events. Otherwise, the best advice is go inside for about an hour around dawn and dusk, and/or wear long sleeve cotton, light colored clothes if you have to be outside. After an hour after dusk (their bloodmeal time) they head back to woods to rest up for dawn bloodmeal smile

I know mosquito control and deterents have changed some since my work in 90-94, but I still think best thing is to buy your neighbor a mosquito trap, then they will all go to his yard! ha!

The coolest looking skeeter I ever ID'ed was a Uranotaenia saphirina (spelling is prolly a bit off...) and coolest name goes to Coquillettida perturbans smile which should be emergin any time now, right around july 4 usually, the big ones with wide stripes on legs (cattail mosquito).

Hmmm, now I kinda miss that job, was fun with great people...