• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Release

I am going to take up bowhunting this year and I am looking to buy a release. I have decided I want one that straps onto my wrist. Up until now I have been practicing with my hunting buddies' Cobra so it would be nice to get one sort of like it. Also it would need to be reasonably cheap as my wallet hasn't been too thick latley. Any suggestions as to what I should get?

Most of the Cobra releases are fairly inexpensive. I don't shoot a Cobra release, so I can't comment on their performance. If you've been using one and like it, why mess around with something else?

i shoot with a Tru-Ball Tornado and wouldn't have it any other way. I've used a few different brands/types over the years and won't go to anything else since i've found this one. they are not the cheapest (around 50-60 bucks) but well worth the money. my advice would be to save for a little while if it's too spendy and then buy the right one instead of a cheap one. just use your buddie's until then..

I liked my Cobra hand held {identical to Scott's brand}

I made sharpshooter using that.

But for hunting I like HHA brand with a buckle instead of velcro straps. Velcro is noisier than a train wreck in the quiet woods.

There are several hundred releases on the market to choose from - most will suit you just fine. If you like the Cobra, go with one of those. TruFire, TruBall, Fletcher, Scott, & Winn all put out great products as well. Some are designed for a string loop, others hook directly to the string. The majority are index finger pull triggers but there are other configurations s well. Most proshops will have several available to try out and will give you some great advice.

Seems to ba alot of difference from a $20 release to a $60 release.

I would say if you can save a little and get one of a little more quality, do it.

Look for how it attaches to your wrist, like stated earlier Velcro is LOUD in a quiet woods.

Look how the hook itself attaches to the wrist sling, is it a bolt, strap or string, all have advantages and disadvantages.

Go somewhere and see if you can shoot different ones, then decide.

Buying one off a hook on a wall may seem convenient for now, but......

I shoot the fletcher 44, I think thats the model

reason why i shoot that one is because of the way it is attached to your wrist strap. I liked how it was a nylon cord instead of a rod, you can adjust it to fit you perfectly,

trigger release is adjustable

and I liked the way it attached to your bow string squeeze on squeeze off.

I have used a few other releases in the past.

Two others that I shoot with uses the Fletchers and I tried one of theirs and loved it, it is spendy, only reason I got mine when I did was my brother had a coupon at the Big-C store so I really only cost me $20 and my gas to get there, but that was a good trip, got a new release and a pack of rage heads for $20.