• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Riding Mower, what engine to buy?

ripper

In the market for a riding mower and would like some feedback on engines. Looking at Cub Cadets (mainly because they carry 3 yr warranties as opposed to 2 on JDs and others). Depending on what retailer you buy from you get different engines. HD it's Kawasaki, Tractor Supply it's Briggs and Stratton and others offer Kohlers. All have a 3 year warranty thru Cub Cadet. I know this is a Ford/Chevy thing but curious. Leaning towards Kawasaki...

If you're going to buy from a big box store, look around the neighborhood for a small engine repair shop.

Whatever he's licensed to do work on, that's the engine I'd buy, if all else is the same.

These big box stores are going to carry few parts and do no service, so find an outlet for those before you buy the tractor.

You might be surprised that if you do some research a Cub Cadet dealer could be close to pricing and give you even better service.

I learned what Lawnmowerman is saying when I took a blown engine rider off a friend. The engine, a Briggs, was one that even a dealer could not get parts for. It was a throw away engine, truly. So a small engine shop put in a better Briggs V Twin that has been awesome for about 5 years now, and you CAN get parts for this one should I ever need it.

So the advice to check with a dealer to see if you can get parts on the engine in question is good advice!

Kawasaki's are very good engines, however very few places are licensed to service them. Briggs and Kohler are both good but both make an economy model engine. Brigss has the Intek which is their cheapy and they also make a single cylinder OHV that is nothing more than a conversion of their old L head engine. Inteks aren't bad for the money, but stay away from that other OHV. If you can find a Briggs Vanguard, that is their commercial engine and it's made in Japan. Top notch engine and parts are cheap.

Kohler has the same deal. Stay away from the Kohler Courage engine which is available in a single or twin. If you find a Kohler Command engine, single or twin, these are their good ones and don't hesitate to buy one.

Also, Cub Cadet's that are under $3000 are nothing but glorified MTD tractors with different decals, knobs and paint job. JUNK in my opinion and the cut is terrible. I work on these for a living every day of my life and have seen them all. If possible, try to avoid the big box store trap as they sell machines for price, not performance.