• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pond Algae

Moonshine

Hello-

I am new to the backyard pond experience and am having some troubles controlling the algae in my pond. We moved into our new house with pond this winter and I researched enough to get it started correctly with filters and pump in place. It is roughly 25 feet by 18 feet at the main basin. It gets at most 3 feet deep. There is a waterfall with a small 6 foot diameter pool near the top of the waterfall as well.

We planted some water plants this spring and some existing plants sprouted as well. The ones that were existing look like small lilly pads. We are getting a heavy algae growth were it grows on the bottom and is just a heavy sludge we have to skim continously. I have been using Microbe-Lift and Algaefix as the label recommends, however that is obviously not cutting it. I am also using a small bale of barley straw as well. Does anyone have any tips or recommendations on how to fix this problem? I live in the southeast metro and have been using a local garden shop for assistance.

Thanks for any help!

If you ever get to White Bear, near the Sam's Club off of 694, there's a John Deere Landscapes by that Sam's Club.

They'll have what the professionals use to clear the ponds.

SOMETIMES the products that SOME garden centers have is too watered down.

With that said, MAKE SURE you read the label, and be prepared for some sticker shock.

Get some Cutrine Plus and apply it as directed.

Also pick up a jug of blue or black pond dye and add a little of that to the pond as needed to maintain the color. The dye is suppose to block the suns uv rays which can add to algea and weed growth. Just a few ounces should cover your pond each time you use it.