• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

motor ticking upon rapid deceleration.

Gus

98 (+- 1 year) 50hp 4 stroke merc.

My son loves to throttle up and get on plane then pull it back to a slow speed and watch the waves.. I'm sure some of you with kids know this as well. smile

I've got an older boat and we do this all the time with no strange sounds. At the lake place my dad's boat makes a ticking sound upon deceleration until we are back at a slow speed. I don't think it's clicking in and out of gear because we are slowing to maybe 4 or 5 mph, not idle. I'm thinking it has to do with the prop and lower unit some how, but I really don't think it's going in and out of gear. Any ideas what's going on? Is it harmful?

All of the Merc outboards I've seen, when the motor is in forward and the prop is spinning faster than the motor there is a clicking sound. I believe it is a clutch making the sound.

When you pull back, do you mean putting it back in neutral?

marine_man

Not going all the way to neutral. Rather than a slow deceleration just pulling the throttle back to probably 5 or 10% throttle. So the nice big wave comes at the back of the boat.

All of the Merc outboards I've seen, when the motor is in forward and the prop is spinning faster than the motor there is a clicking sound. I believe it is a clutch making the sound.

That makes me feel a bit better. At least it sounds like it's not something broken.

Yup, just reading your subject line I knew the sound you were refering to. It is just the prop slowing down to the shaft speed.