• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seeding a lawn question

my main project this weekend is to seed my lawn. I am digging up the top few inches of my totally pathetic lawn and adding quite a bit of black dirt to it.

My question is this...

I am planning on putting down a starter fertilizer with the seed. Would I want to rake the fertilizer in as well with the seed, or can I get by with raking the seed in and then adding the fertilizer on top? Any helpful hints would be appreciated.

CA

On top is fine. No need to rake it in because it will get watered in (and if you want it to grow, you'll be watering plenty smile ).

Unless you're dead-set on doing it this weekend, I would hold off. Early fall is a better time to seed.

Ok so the dirt is all prepped and ready for the seed. I have heard from some that I should roll/pack the seeds in once I have laid them. WOuld this be a good suggestion? Also, would I want to put the starter fertilizer down before rolling the seed, or spread it out after?

Also, I know I will be watering it, but how much is too much? I don't want to drown out the seeds. What is the best cycle for watering new seed. I purchased a seed mixture, so there is some faster growing seeds. Once they germinate, would I be able to water less, or do I keep on with the same cycle.

Thanks for the help.

CA

Rolling it would be a good idea. When I reseeded by yard, I just lightly rake a yard rake over it. If you have access to a roller, though, it'd be better. I'd put the starter fertilizer down after you've rolled.

As for water, keep it moist at all times if possible. For sure once a day, but don't let standing water form. Also, be careful with the force of your sprinkler(s). Some types have too much force and will wash away seed.

I'd water daily till it is getting quite full. Then, you can back off a little bit.

Good luck! It's a lot of watering, but once you have it established, it's a good feeling smile

I seeded my lawn at the beginning of last fall. I started out using pulsating sprinklers that were placed on the lawn so they covered the entire lawn when in use. I had eight in total. My thought was that I could use a couple of y's and not have to walk out onto the yard and create a muddy mess. I found that these sprinklers didn't consistently cover the area being watered. Some spots would be puddling and other spots would appear to be dry. I switched over to the oscillating type and strategically placed them so that I could pull the hose from the side of the yard and move them into the area to be watered next. This way I was only walking on the yard when the ground was dry. This worked much better. I would also suggest getting a timer. I found that it was very easy to get side tracked with a long inning during a twins game.

Once the grass is established, I tried to keep up with using the oscillating sprinklers, but with the wind we have in Fargo/Moorhead it was tough to have tinme on the nights that the wind was cooperating. I decided to try the traveling lawn sprinkler. The one I used was made by Orbit. It keeps the water lowerer to the ground and all you have to do is check on it once it awhile to make sure it hasn't jumped the hose or gotten stuck.

I decided to try the traveling lawn sprinkler. The one I used was made by Orbit. It keeps the water lowerer to the ground and all you have to do is check on it once it awhile to make sure it hasn't jumped the hose or gotten stuck.

The Rain Train is the BOMB! Love mine. Don't use it till your grass has established itself, though. It will push the seed around.

I have one of those, but I would think that it would make a mess dragging the hose along. I purchased a tripod sprinlker that adjusts pretty high. Thinking I can play around with it and find one location to cover everything. We are surrounded with woods, so the wind really shouldn't be that bicg of a factor, especially doing an early morning watering.

CA

If you use it too soon it could make a mess. I would go with the tall pulsating since you already have it and then maybe by this fall you can run with the "Rain Train", once the grass has good roots and has been mowed a couple of times.

You can use a spring rake, or steel rake, just use it upside down to rake the seed in.

Also, if you have an old bed spring, you can drag that behind a 4 wheeler or garden tractor to get good dirt contact.

All you're looking to accomplish is getting good dirt to seed contact.