• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tent Caterpillar, Army worm or Gypsy moth question

rmk600

I have a really bad problem with one of these insects, but no sure which one. My quetion is how do I control them. Is there something that will repel them for climbing on everything(chairs, picnic table, stairs)?

I've seen quite a few tent caterpillar this spring, although not as bad as about 10 years ago.

There are sprays you can spray. Head to your local garden store, feed mill, big box store.

The same product will control them all.

I use "Sevin", available in powder and in a liquid. I use the liquid in a hose sprayer bottle - and spray trees to 25 or 30 feet high. Trees much higher you will need a professional to come in and treat them.

Sevin is a good option for most any insect pest, and back when I worked for a landscaping business/greenhouse, it was one of our go-to sprays. I doubt it'll act as much of a repellant if you put it on your outdoor deck/furniture. Maybe, but it's designed to kill and then break down, not be a long-term repellant.

You got that right Steve. It's a carbamate and generally speaking those OP's & carbamates we mere mortals w/o restricted use pesticide licenses can apply have a low degree of repellency. Some of the synthetic pyrethroids on the other hand do demonstrate some degree of repellency on certain insects. This would include products containing permethrin, cyfluthrin, bifenthrin, cyhalothrin amongst others. However, personally I would not want to plop my sweaty behind on something that has been sprayed with them. Sure, they generally have relatively low human toxicity but that doesn't mean wallowing in it is a good idea. And, you can get a rash from some of them. "Honey, can you come here and take a look at something..." wink