• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FLOAT TUBE HELP!!!

Im a shore angler looking to get further into the water but cannot afford a boat and cant afford to maintain one. I have seen float tubes on youtube and they seem pretty fun and something different but what gets me is that the float tubes looks a little hard to manuver and get to places faster. What also makes me shy away is saftey like the seat looks like it sags into the water and seems like i may sag down and fall thru between the seat and the strip apron that is used by fly fishermen and if i would not sag thru, it would look like a uncomfterble seating like sitting in a chair while someone is behind you lifting the chairs 2 back legs making you sit at a sloped angle. Not only that also what would make me question is my gear. I have g.loomis rods so droping that into the water would be terrible and also getting my reels wet would be bad for them also storage places seems small i usually carry 2-4 of those typical low slim profile plastic tackle bins with other small tackle bins and tools, will the tube compartments be enough? Also how long does it take to inflate? Could it fit in a truck when inflated?

Last but not least the quality of the high to low priced ones. I have found a cheap unused tube on hsolist which was the cheapest modle tube on cabelas and it seems like a good tube, would any tube be good for a beginner?

Before you buy one do a lot more research. Visit a fly shop, where they are common, and talk to folks about them. Look at the catamaran style rather than tube. And whatever you do, wear a PFD when using the device you choose

You really need to know more about tube fishing than you do at this point.

Have fun. It's a pleasant way to fish.

NaturesRespect,

You're worrying about too many things with the float tube! They have their drawbacks, like you can't go great distances and you can't go very fast, but at the same time they are more versatile than you think.

First of all, they are perfectly safe. You won't just accidentially fall out of one or fall through the cracks. If you get one with a 2-way valve like my FishCat, they inlate in just a couple minutes. And yes, I put mine into the back of my truck fully inflated. They are also very compact; you can fit it along with the fins and air pump into a tote and pack it away (minus the foam) in your vehicle for fishing trips. Mine also has a carrying handle, so you can carry it on your back once it's inflated to your fishing spot. I have carried mine along with poles and fins at least a couple hundred yards without too much of a problem.

Unlike a canoe, they handle very well in the wind, you can bring along a flasher to check for water depth and fish, you can purchase a micro-anchor to keep you in place, you can get into small ponds and unknown lakes that are less pressured and hold more fish. The pockets on my tube are big enough to carry everything I need. You can also bring along a small landing net. I tie on a long plastic ruler to accurately measure fish. At the pointy end of my tube is a little recess area I can put a small cooler and water bottle too if I plan to be out a long time. Just remember to tie your valuables, like your flasher, to your tube if you are worried about losing 'em.

Comfort-wise, I find my tube pretty comfy once the back is adjusted correctly with the straps. Usually you're too busy fishing and moving about to worry much about comfort anyway.

And don't forget, it's fun to tangle with big fish while in your tube! I have caught big bass and northerns in it and it's a blast! My tube keeps me up pretty high because it has some thick, high density foam for the seat. You can also put on neoprene waders and fish in colder water temps and not worry about freezing to death. I have never gotten too cold because I am always moving.

I have never lost a rod yet, or broken one. In fact, I often carry two rods without fear of accidentially dropping one in the drink. If you're worried about that, then use a cheaper rod until your confidence level increases. Reels might get wet every once in a while, but it isn't the death of 'em! Just be careful.

Remember, you get what you pay for, so I would stay away from a cheap one. That being said, if you are willing to spend some dough on a G-Loomis, then why not fork out some more to greatly increase your fishing potential? I think you could get set up with a quality tube, waders, fins, and pump for $250-300. Not a bad price for your own personal fish killing machine!

This is me fishing a small 40 acre pond with Mike Thompson that had some really nice gills in it, and crappies too! Very unpressured due to tha fact it only had a spot to launch portables. We were fishing a different lake earlier that day in our tubes but the fishing sucked. I only heard of this pond from a friend earlier in the week. There are lot's of spots like this, you just have to find 'em!

tube9.jpg