• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Warning Buzzer?

mattrd

Hey guys, I just had a new ignition switch put into my boat. My brother had it out on opener and the warning buzzer started to go off. He shut the motor down and checked everything and it all seemed good. The motor wasn't overheating and the oil was fine. When he started it back up the warning buzzer never came back on. Then after trolling for a while it started again. I guess my question would be could it be the new ignition causing this, maybe the hooked up the warning system wrong when they put the new one in. I have never had this happen before. Any help would be great!

Thanks

Can you offer any more detail on what the ignition switch replacement was? Is this a tiller or console boat?

It's tough to say for sure if it's related... but it almost sounds like a weak water pump issue to me.

marine_man

Sorry,

It is a single console boat. The marine shop just put a new one in because they said it was causing the fuel gauge and lights not to work right. They all work great now, but the buzzer started going off the other day. When at the marine shop they looked everything over and said all was fine. There was a good stream of water coming out of the motor and it everything looked good. So I just didn't know if maybe they hooked it up wrong or something.

If it's an intermittent warning it's tough to say... I wouldn't have thought replacing the ignition switch would cause warning horn issues.

I'd see if you can replicate the issue, or what it takes to replicate it, and then talk to you dealer about it.

marine_man

Too much unknown to know for sure, but I had a couple similar experiences on my 40 Merc, vintage '93 model, oil injected. Steady alarm was always overheat, and one time had it even when I had a pee stream, just not much of one. Replaced the impeller and good to go. Intermittent was low oil, but after adding oil it didn't come back. One time oil was good, pee stream was good, and buzzer kept going off. That turned out to be a faulty alarm module. Manual tells how to check for it. If you don't have one I can try to relay the info to you. Good luck.